Skip to main content

Paper Trail$

When something leaves a bad taste in your mouth it's hard to get over. Sometimes it's literally a taste..sometimes it's a wack name.

A few months ago I mentioned the abomination that was Late Night all nighter Cheeseburger Doritos. Doritos didn't stop there with their Late Night line, they also released a "last call Jalapeno Popper". This post is however not about Doritos repugnant misstep, it is about President's Choice and how they once again took the same concept as Doritos and ran with it. Taking this into consideration I was understandably cautious when I picked up a bag of President's Choice Loads of Jalapeno Popper chips. They come in a standard PC bag with a 5 chili pepper heat rating. The background/wallpaper of the bag tips you that these are ridged chips. When I cracked the bag open I could see that these weren't the weakest link in the 'PC Loads of' line, there was a good coating of seasoning on these wavy lil potato slices. I popped a chip in my mouth and was met with a dry chili pepper heat accompanied by subtle cheddar seasoning playing a supporting role. As with most PC flavours, you get just the right amount of potato (it's not overwhelming one bit). As I traversed my way through this bag I noticed that my forehead was starting to sweat (their 5 chili pepper rating is fairly accurate, they bring a really nice heat). These chips are slightly hotter than your standard Jalapeno flavour chips. These chips are Mexican Chili's spicier [and 100% better] cousin. If you're looking for a little heat check em out.

When a band/artist makes use of symbols in their names I pretty much automatically write them off as garbage. I'm not sure if there was a bad experience I had (that I blocked from my memory) with a stupidly named group or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. Does it matter? (either way it's absolutely ridiculous [or is it a way to make ones name more googleable? {Kids! Right!}]). A year or two ago I had heard good things about a rapper named Joey Badass..then I saw his name in writing Joey Bada$$..'Oh, one of these R&B/pop rap douchebags. Pass! There's already way too many artists that I've heard positive reviews of and haven't had the chance to check out. I don't have the time to dick with a guy who uses dollar signs in his name'. Because of this symbol based preconception I kept myself in the dark on Mr. Badass (still not a fan of the whole $$ thing, I prefer to spell it phonetically) until this past spring. I was in sloth records (YYC) and the clerk put on a rap album. As I was flicking through the records I couldn't help but notice that the fellow rapping was..well rapping. Not crap R&B sing rapping (or worse R&B hooks on every song), not filling the album with unnecessary trend jocking bullshit blah, dude was an actual emcee with a (simplified description due to lack of hip hop vernacular) throwback NYC style. When I asked the clerk what album he was playing he hipped me to B4.DA.$$ (before da money) from Joey Badass *alarm clock noise*. I was still turned off by the $$ bullcorn so it actually took me a few months of youtube listening (and downloading his mixtapes) before I actually picked up the cd (I didn't have any choice, shit's fantastic). I'm not sure if this will change my preconceptions based on shit band/artist names but I'm pretty glad I got past this minor mental roadblock.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

ps. Jo-Vaughn Virginie Scott (Joey Badass) was born in 1995. Holy shit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'