Skip to main content

Tending to Ruin

This is my second time writing about Blair's Death Rain chips. The first time I had just consumed the Death Rain Jolokia Pepper. They were pretty metals! Get ready for round 2. This time I munched on Blair's Death Rain Buffalo Wing cauldron-cooked potato chips. They come in the same (metal looking) bag [however with Buffalo Wing they switched out the black drop with a yellow (not as metal)]. These were a gift from the in-laws (as were the previous bag of Blair's if I remember correctly). When i peeled the laminated aluminum apart I was greeted with the smell of kettle cooked chips with a slight cayenne hit. I tossed one into my mouth and BAM! Nice crunch, not overly greasy. The bag says that they're a medium heat and I'd have to agree (if not a little more than medium [after all they are Blair's Death Rain]). You can taste the potato and at times you get a hint of BBQ..other times there's a touch of sweetness to the chips. As with all Blair's Death Rain chips the heat is more of the battery acid variety rather than a chili pepper base. If you're in the mood for some heat without truly dancing with the devil these'll be right up your alley. You get some nice forehead sweats after an 85g bag, which is the perfect size for one sitting. If you're going to crush a large bag you may want to find a friend to help you devour so that you don't end up with a tum tum ache. Either way, be prepared for your mouth to burn for a while after finishing your salty little snack.

It's nice when packaging gives you an indication as to what's inside. Blair's doesn't try to pass themselves off as something that won't kick your ass, the same can be said for a record that I picked up a couple weeks ago. I was flipping through used records a couple weeks ago in Calgary (at Sloth Records [amazing store, stop in if you're in YYC]) and I saw an album cover that was opaque red with black horror movie looking writing and black crosses. Band name: Between the Wars. Album title: Less We Believe E.P. Year: 2005. The packaging was minimal: 8.5x11" Black and white printed lyric sheet, a 12" cardboard square (I assume for rigidity) behind the opaque plastic cover and a record label that I wasn't familiar with (Pokerface Records [looking at the record now I notice that in small print below the Pokerface logo it says that it's Licensed by ThinkFast! Records {I can't find a picture of the cover version that I have, but it's like this one, but without the faces on the sides]. It was a good price and looked like something that I might be into..maybe HxC, maybe metal..who knows, maybe it was going to be some offshoot of Babymetal? (I love getting records based on the cover/title without knowing anything about them, there's something about a good surprise from physical media that's so satisfying). Once I got it home I found a nice light purple marble record with a yellow bug and the band name (spray/screen?) painted on the b-side (as the E.P. title suggested this is a single sided 12"). I tossed it on the turn table and was met with a bakers handful of metalcore ditties that lean more towards the HxC than the metal (it's 2005's version of HxC [don't get me wrong, there's plenty of dick swinging guitar leads / lively instrumentation]). Heavy. Good shit.

I love it when packaging doesn't dick you around.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

p.s. Between the Wars "featured Ensign frontman Tim Shaw, as well as former Thursday guitarist Bill Henderson" if that means anything to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'