Skip to main content

Love the World We Have

This past summer a friend of mine sent me a picture of chips that he had found at the..I believe..Rossburn Co-op. They were something I had never heard of or seen before..so I did what any inquisitive person would do, I googled them. Tomahawk Chips. Aboriginal Owned, No Financial Assistance, Friendchip Choice Native Canadian Chip Corporation (Riverton, MB). I had mentioned these chips to people in the following weeks and low and behold, my family was in (I think) Onanole and they found some of them, BBQ and Ketchup to be exact. Now Tomahawk is a strange chip company, the chips seem to come secondary to the packaging. They have a website with an online store, that does not sell chips, just prints and shirts. I believe that their primary goal is to advertise Native Canadian artists through chip bags and raise founds for (it appears) the Riverton Friendship Centre. I dig what they're doing, it's uplifting (my only gripe is that I haven't seen them in Brandon and can't order them online (I really want to find out what "Fire Chip" flavour tastes like [gonna email once this is up to find out where I can procure some more for myself]). So that is a brief explanation of this entry's brand.

BBQ. Bag artist: Lloyd Dubois (Strong Thunderbird Man). The chips are on the light side of standard potato chips. The BBQ flavour is the old school style barbeque as opposed to the more common sweet mesquite BBQ that most companies slang these days. Straight forward BBQ flavour with the odd hint of sweetness, I enjoyed. The chips taste a tad more greasy than your standard fare, it's not like they're shiny coating the bag Kettle Brand style, but when you bite into them you can taste a bit of the grease (I personally enjoyed what it added to the chips). All around, tasty BBQ chips that support a good cause. Buy 'em if you see 'em.

Ketchup. Bag artist: Leonard Bighett. (caveat, both these bags have a BB of 2017 JL 02, it didn't affect the BBQ however there is a slight staleness to the Ketchup). The same light chips as the BBQ mentioned above. Tart ketchup seasoning (I'd say if your standard Ketchup chips are a 5 in tart and a 5 in sweetness these are a 6 in tart and 4 in sweetness, bangin) that is fairly evenly distributed. Same grease, vegetable oil, level as the BBQ above. Once again, buy 'em if you see 'em, enjoyable chips.

Last year Anxious and Angry put out the first Ezra Kire solo album, Speakers in the Sky. I didn't initially check it out, I've enjoyed Morning Glory (his other post CV/LOC/INDK band that he was the primary artistic force in) albums but I wasn't smitten. Luckily for me Ryan put up an episode of the A and A podcast that was just a stream of Speakers in the Sky..and gee golly that is a beautiful album. Piano driven songs that have the most beautiful melodies mixed with Ezra's somewhat weathered voice (at times there's almost hints of Freddie Mercury? to his voice. I dunno, there's familiarity that's completely new). Odd additional instrumentation here and there (I believe Ezra plays everything on the album [there's no lyric sheet {bummer} or much for credits other than songs and words by: Ezra Arrow Kire, mixed and mastered by: Jesse Cannon, front cover: David Mitchell, back cover: Elisha Murphy, layout and lettering by: St. Savage]). The lyrics are uplifting while rooted in a reality that isn't always pretty, basically just trying to make the best of life without being complacent. It's such a cohesive album that it feels like one long song (which is almost certainly intentional [almost like sitting through a musical]) however the songs still stand on their own. Speakers in the Sky is epic without pretension. One of the best albums that came out last year..that I was a tad late on. Take 30 minutes out of your busy schedule and give it a listen, then repeat.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'