Skip to main content

The End of All Things

 I am not an expert on Nomeansno, but I can tell you this..their music can be quite difficult to get on physical media (LP, CD or otherwise [unless you want to spend somewhat spicy money]) in Canada. Luckily, Alternative Tentacles reissued Wrong. Now, cross border shipping is still muy caliente, but enough distros picked it up in Canada to allow me to put Wrong into my record collection this year. Nomeansno (since 1979) played (ended 2016) chaotic punk rock that I want to say fell into hardcore, but they were far more than a single genre. Wrong is unconventional for a punk band to say the least. The bass is lively as hell, with a tone that's absolutely perfect. The drums know when to get weird and when to kick it into overdrive. I don't know if it's jazz or funk, but there's something in the mix that if Nomeansno wasn't so aggressive it might feel pretentious..instead they're just odd and make me wish I had the opportunity to seem them live. Lyrics are talk sung for the most part, melodic but not overly, and can get a little weird...open to interpretation. The guitar's having fun, but not as up front and centre as the bass, to me anyway. Wrong is every bit of the classic punk/hardcore album that its reputation would have you believe. 

(my in-laws were in Europe recently and brought me back a couple bags of chips [thank you])

3 Dutch Farmers (cooked from potatoes grown at our own farm) kimchi flavoured potato chips are quite crunchy. Kettle cooked with lots of skin. I can't recall the last time I had kimchi, so I'll have to take their word for it that this is what kimchi tastes like. It's almost like a tomato base tasting (but not sweet like ketchup chips) with something that give it a bit of bite (like a black pepper bite for level, but doesn't taste like black pepper). Something tastes like, slightly dirty or earthy? There's a bit of an onion cousin in the background. This flavour is both familiar and completely new to me at the same time. I'd read the ingredients but I don't speak dutch. Base chips are fantastic, the flavour is odd enough that I can't tell if I'm into it or not..but it's not bad.

funny-frisch Chipsfrish ungarisch (I could google to see what this is saying, but I'm assuming that these are red bell pepper flavoured potato chips based on the bag. They smell like bar-b-q. The chips have a light crunch, similar to Lay's. The flavour is odd. At first I was like, 'tastes like mesquite bbq' then something weird kicked in. It's almost simulated pork flavour. There's also something earthy at the back end. I had to google this flavour, I believe ungarisch translates to Hungarian. I'm confused, why is there a picture of a red bell pepper on the front of the bag. I get no bell pepper in this flavour. I'm not sold on these chips, for me I'd like a bit more crunch and a bit less foot flavour. Not the worst, but I think I'll avoid tasting Hungarians moving forward.

Stay hydrated,

Marc


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...