Skip to main content

Nothing is Cool

Peanuts and Corn is one of the most important labels in Canadian rap/hip-hop/(whatever you want to call it). Shit, they're one of the most important labels in independent music. Rod Bailey has consistently produced/released some of the most top notch rap albums that North America has to offer. If you are unfamiliar with P&C you should try to change that and celebrate their entire catalogue.

With that said, today I am specifically focusing on one release from Peanuts and Corn, 2004's Nothing is Cool from mcenroe and Birdapres. I am not a rap aficionado, I dabble here and there, but I honestly believe that this is a Classic album. This masterpiece was produced by mcenroe with co-production from Birdapres and cuts from DJ Hunnicutt. The beauty to this albums production (as with all P&C releases) is that it's timeless. There was no trend hopping, just perfectly curated beats from music lovers who have obviously seen a crate or two in their time. The lyrics throughout the album are full of hip-hop/pop cultural references, social and cultural critique, warranted bravado and just straight up intelligence raps with absolutely no false front (using a vocabulary that should be the base of an english class syllabus). Birdapres' delivery is buttery smooth while mcenroe comes with a slightly more rigid but unquestionably ear pleasing flow. Individually mcenroe and Birdapres are more than capable of holding their own, they are fantastic artists. When put together something magical happens. Neither emcee is outshone by the other, they compliment each other so well that you would swear they were concocted in a lab strictly for the purpose of schooling the music industry on how to make a perfect album.

Perfect combination..that pairing of words brings me back to when I was 10 or 11. I was at my friend Dave's cabin, we were wanting a snack so he grabbed some chips and dip. All was par for the course until I took a closer look at the bag; he didn't grab a bag of plain/salted chips, what he had in his hands was a bag of ketchup chips and some dill pickle dip. I was confused, was I expected to dip flavoured chips? Yes. Apparently this wasn't a new thing, it was just new to me, so I figured when in Rome. That was a life changing experience. Ketchup chips and dill pickle dip go together so well you'd think they were created as a pair. Sure they're both great by themselves (with plain chips in dill pickle dip's case) but when combined, something magical happens. The sweet slightly vinegar ketchup seasoning of the chips is accompanied perfectly by the creamy dillpickleness of the dip. Maybe it's because they both, in my opinion, have a little vinegar at their core that allows this combination to be so amazing, maybe it's just magic. Either way, go get you some.

My personal ketchup chip of choice is President's Choice Loads of Ketchup Rippled Potato Chips, they are fantastic. President's Choice really seems to understand that potato chips are meant to reflect the flavour stated on the bag and when they say "Loads" they really do mean it, these chips are SUFFICIENTLY covered in Ketchup flavouring. The flavour is your standard vinegar based ketchup seasoning that doesn't vary much from brand to brand (this is not true for Great Value Ketchup chips, those chips suuuuuck). Loads of Ketchup chips make your fingers red and your taste buds dance. When I open a bag I find it hard to stop. Before I know it, I have the bag tilted back and a mouth full of crumbs. The Loads of Ketchup chips being rippled also helps lend themselves to dipping perfectly.

I almost always crush Philadelphia Dill Pickle dip. If you have your own favorite dill pickle dip I'm sure it will work just as well in the combination. Recently my friend's wife Tara made some homemade dill pickle dip for me, it was wicked tasty. This dip paragraph is going off the rails, just find a good dill pickle dip for the combo.

Stay hydrated,
 Marc

PS. There were two guest emcees on Nothing is Cool, John Smith and  Stace Prints. Check em out, not sure if Stace Prints is still active but John Smith is still out there showing wack emcees how it's done.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'