Skip to main content

I Will Be Heard

In late October 2006 I was living in Calgary and went to see Hatebreed for the first time. Before going I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from the pit. I had assumed that there'd be slamdancers/2 steppers/spin kickers...blah blah blah. When me and my buddy Ryan got to the show and the festivities commenced I noticed that there were 3 basic groups of attendees. The people standing on the outside; nodding and such, maybe dancing a bit..but mostly just soaking in the music, the stage show and the antics going on within the pit. There were the people on the outer edges of the pit; 2 stepping a little maybe throwing in some other dance maneuvers that hardcore kids like but not being (in my opinion) dickholes with the flailing and kicking. Then there were the people in the 'middle' of the pit swinging their arms giving 110%, spin kicking and all around douching hard. At the core of the melee there was a young? man fully dressed in a santa suit who I have to assume spent 4 hours a day practicing his spin kicks and other ultra cool dance moves. There was no one within a 6 foot radius of this 'hardcore king'. To say cheese dick was a little over the top would be an understatement.

Near the turn of the aughts Doritos figured that it'd be a great idea to release 3 different heat intensities of chips flavours. 1st Degree Burn: Blazin' Jalapeno, 2nd Degree Burn: Fiery Buffalo and 3rd Degree Burn: Scorchin' Habanero. It's been a minute since I've tried those chips but if my memory doesn't fail, I remember 1st Degree being weak, you could eat as much as you wanted but the heat was pretty much non-existant. 2nd degree was okay, I think they'd start to induce the forehead sweats near the end of a small bag. The 3rd degree chips were aggressively hot (with more of an acidic heat rather than pepper), after the first few chips it became a feat of strength just to finish a small bag..not enjoyable. Suffice to say, Doritos' genius 3 degrees of heat idea didn't last long..big surprise. Luckily they went back to the drawing board and a few years ago came up with a genius idea of  Doritos Roulette. Basically they have taken the 3 degrees of heat, threw them all in one bag and now it's a random draw as to how hot the chip you eat will be.

A room full of slamdancing santas, fucking terrible. A room full of passive 2 steppers can be okay but at the end of the day it lacks the excitement that the extremes can bring. If you're at a metalcore/hardcore show that has hundreds of attendees all of them are standing (mostly still) staring at the stage with very little emotion..well, snore. The wallflowers need hardcore santa so that they can have something other than the band to entertain, to add a sense of danger. The 2 steppers provide the necessary buffer so that when santa gets carried away shit doesn't go all fiddle faddle foe. When you combine all three pit personalities together you get an experience that everyone can enjoy (even though sometimes you get too many 3rd degree in a row it can start to fuck your shit up, but that's just the chance that you're taking when you spin the wheel).

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth