Skip to main content

Monster Attack - UPDATE

On a recent trip I picked up some records and some salty snacks. Of these records and snacks I picked up two based on packaging.

Tasty Nuts (Haldiram's Nagpur, Taste of Tradition, Indian Snacks, Tasty Nuts, Spicy Peanuts, "Spiced coated fried peanuts" to be exact). I saw these gems in the store and thought, "Who doesn't want some tasty nuts?". They come in a maroon bag with a picture of the nuts taking up half of the space while lettering and the Haldiram's logo taking up the rest. When it was time to get to snacking I poured some nuts into my hand to view some peanuts that have a light yellow almost flaky coating sprinkled with a red seasoning powder. I popped them into my mouth and was delightfully met with peanuts covered in a light (almost flakey?) crunchy coating. The seasoning on the nuts is fairly spicy. Something like a hot chili powder with a hint of mesquite? and possibly a hint of lime? [I'm not great with labeling spice but these nuts are as advertised, quite Tasty]. If you're into something with a little kick you should definitely check these out [they should be fairly accessible, I grabbed my bag in wal-mart].

Now onto the music.

I was in my favourite record store recently (Sloth Records, Calgary) flipping through the used section and I came across an LP that looked interesting. The cover is a cartoon of a wood floor with a bunch of bloody knives/weapons lying around. Flip the record over to a green base with majority of the space being taken up by a cartoon drawing of a bunch of zombies? (the faces are drawn in a Christ Illusion type mannor) in a vortex? partying. Shit looks fun. (This is a split LP) The font for one of the bands looks super metal/crusty and I couldn't read what it said (after viewing the liner notes it appears this band is Wasteoid) the other band is a melty mucusey font that reads Black Market Fetus. There's no track listing and the record label is Six Weeks Records (I think I have other records from this label). Based on the packaging I'm going with the assumption that these bands are somewhere between thrash/hardcore/crust. The liner notes have lyrics listed. Black Market Fetus provides 5 songs for their side (my guess is thrashy punk). Wasteoid provides 11 songs on their side (my guess, crust?).

I haven't had a chance to listen to this record yet but I'm assuming it's gonna be spicy. I'll update this post within 2 weeks with my aural findings.

Stay hydrated,
MARC

UPDATE:

Wasteoid are thrashy crusty death metal. Vocals are split between a fairly shrill fella (pretty hard to make out what he's saying), and some throaty death metal dude. The music is fairly frantic the whole way through.

Black Market Fetus is, again thrashy crusty metal. There's slight leans towards punk if you search for it. They sound like they're fronted by a rabid pitbull (or 2 pitbulls, there's some throaty growls in there that I can't tell if it's the original singer or a second guy) (I had to seriously try to make out a single lyric from listening..did not sound english for the most part). Shit gets really sludgy near the end of their side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Bed Crumbs

My kids getting slightly older means I can now bring them along on my adventures to shows in Winnipeg (at least when it's all ages and ties into a weekend..which is what happened just over a week ago). I was stoked with I saw Quit It! was making their way to/through Manitoba again and it was on a Friday. It was touch and go for a minute if I/we were going to make it but the hockey scheduling gods shone down on me/us and I was able to justify keeping the kids up late on a Friday night. First of all Domohaus is absolutely fantastic, Adrian and Hannah seem to have a scene (tapped into a scene), that's friendly (and more importantly kid friendly, at least IMO). At their 4th Annual Occasional Halloween House Party (with bands playing out of the garage due to mild spitting/rain) started off with Grotoko (full band style for the first time in a minute) killing it in their '66 Batman villain costumes. I love Blue's live stage presence, it fits perfectly with the confluence of d...