Skip to main content

Monster Attack - UPDATE

On a recent trip I picked up some records and some salty snacks. Of these records and snacks I picked up two based on packaging.

Tasty Nuts (Haldiram's Nagpur, Taste of Tradition, Indian Snacks, Tasty Nuts, Spicy Peanuts, "Spiced coated fried peanuts" to be exact). I saw these gems in the store and thought, "Who doesn't want some tasty nuts?". They come in a maroon bag with a picture of the nuts taking up half of the space while lettering and the Haldiram's logo taking up the rest. When it was time to get to snacking I poured some nuts into my hand to view some peanuts that have a light yellow almost flaky coating sprinkled with a red seasoning powder. I popped them into my mouth and was delightfully met with peanuts covered in a light (almost flakey?) crunchy coating. The seasoning on the nuts is fairly spicy. Something like a hot chili powder with a hint of mesquite? and possibly a hint of lime? [I'm not great with labeling spice but these nuts are as advertised, quite Tasty]. If you're into something with a little kick you should definitely check these out [they should be fairly accessible, I grabbed my bag in wal-mart].

Now onto the music.

I was in my favourite record store recently (Sloth Records, Calgary) flipping through the used section and I came across an LP that looked interesting. The cover is a cartoon of a wood floor with a bunch of bloody knives/weapons lying around. Flip the record over to a green base with majority of the space being taken up by a cartoon drawing of a bunch of zombies? (the faces are drawn in a Christ Illusion type mannor) in a vortex? partying. Shit looks fun. (This is a split LP) The font for one of the bands looks super metal/crusty and I couldn't read what it said (after viewing the liner notes it appears this band is Wasteoid) the other band is a melty mucusey font that reads Black Market Fetus. There's no track listing and the record label is Six Weeks Records (I think I have other records from this label). Based on the packaging I'm going with the assumption that these bands are somewhere between thrash/hardcore/crust. The liner notes have lyrics listed. Black Market Fetus provides 5 songs for their side (my guess is thrashy punk). Wasteoid provides 11 songs on their side (my guess, crust?).

I haven't had a chance to listen to this record yet but I'm assuming it's gonna be spicy. I'll update this post within 2 weeks with my aural findings.

Stay hydrated,
MARC

UPDATE:

Wasteoid are thrashy crusty death metal. Vocals are split between a fairly shrill fella (pretty hard to make out what he's saying), and some throaty death metal dude. The music is fairly frantic the whole way through.

Black Market Fetus is, again thrashy crusty metal. There's slight leans towards punk if you search for it. They sound like they're fronted by a rabid pitbull (or 2 pitbulls, there's some throaty growls in there that I can't tell if it's the original singer or a second guy) (I had to seriously try to make out a single lyric from listening..did not sound english for the most part). Shit gets really sludgy near the end of their side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'