Skip to main content

Why Should I Care

Dark Thoughts is a band that up until a few weeks ago I had never heard of (thanks Razorcake) let alone heard..and let me tell you, they're fan-tastic. For the most part the vocals are very Ramones with slightly more aggressive music (Ramonescore in the Weaselish vein). Of the 12 songs on their S/T LP, 2 break the 2 minute mark (songs average a whopping 1m34s). The band provides very little information on the packaging (the band members photos are black squares with their names under them), the cover is black with plain white "DARK THOUGHTS" font centered, there's no insert and the lyrics are all on the back (Side A is all romantic relationship based lyrics, Side B is self loathing, being broke and then ends on some more relationship woes) in times new roman laid out very clean [I love the simplicity while still providing all the 'necessary' information]). This album is fun. Do you like fun? Listen to this album! (I'm late to the party, was released April 2016..you know what that means, it's been 2 years..new Dark Thoughts LP or EP in the cards? [I sure hope so {one of my favourites (that is new [to me]) in the last 12 months}])

When chip companies create flavour lines based on themes (late night, appetizer, etc) the result usually ends up being pretty wack. In this guys opinion, the emphasis is put on aligning with the theme as opposed to making a flavour people actually want (I could be [and most likely am] completely wrong with this assumption [or am I?]). Enter Double Dutch "appetizer edition" Ridgies "doubly delicious" Sour Cream, Green Onion and Bacon. The actual chips are interesting, tiny ruffles style (maybe even smaller than Ruffles proper) ridges..promising. Welp, that is where the promise ends, they sort of taste like dirty sour cream and onion (not in a potato skins left on the chips kind of way, more of a "wow, the 10 second rule really is more of a guideline and I lost the gamble this time" kind of way). The onion flavour has a sweet tang to it which is interesting..I guess. The odd chip has hints of faux bacon flavour (I think that lends to the dirty flavour). Not a lot of "sour cream" flavour. They have a light crunch that turns into a mushy almost pringles like potato flake blob in your mouth. As with most onion based flavours, the green onion taste builds up in your mouth after a while. I'm thinking that the people behind this flavour may treat their wait staff kind of poor and think that the rolled on the floor flavour is normal for wedges..or more likely, it's just another weak attempt from people who like describing chips more consuming said chips. Meh, inoffensive at best. Flavour tastes manufactured.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

ps..More Amy backup vocals (or the odd verse) in Dark Thoughts might not be a bad thing..I dunno, just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'