Skip to main content

Why Should I Care

Dark Thoughts is a band that up until a few weeks ago I had never heard of (thanks Razorcake) let alone heard..and let me tell you, they're fan-tastic. For the most part the vocals are very Ramones with slightly more aggressive music (Ramonescore in the Weaselish vein). Of the 12 songs on their S/T LP, 2 break the 2 minute mark (songs average a whopping 1m34s). The band provides very little information on the packaging (the band members photos are black squares with their names under them), the cover is black with plain white "DARK THOUGHTS" font centered, there's no insert and the lyrics are all on the back (Side A is all romantic relationship based lyrics, Side B is self loathing, being broke and then ends on some more relationship woes) in times new roman laid out very clean [I love the simplicity while still providing all the 'necessary' information]). This album is fun. Do you like fun? Listen to this album! (I'm late to the party, was released April 2016..you know what that means, it's been 2 years..new Dark Thoughts LP or EP in the cards? [I sure hope so {one of my favourites (that is new [to me]) in the last 12 months}])

When chip companies create flavour lines based on themes (late night, appetizer, etc) the result usually ends up being pretty wack. In this guys opinion, the emphasis is put on aligning with the theme as opposed to making a flavour people actually want (I could be [and most likely am] completely wrong with this assumption [or am I?]). Enter Double Dutch "appetizer edition" Ridgies "doubly delicious" Sour Cream, Green Onion and Bacon. The actual chips are interesting, tiny ruffles style (maybe even smaller than Ruffles proper) ridges..promising. Welp, that is where the promise ends, they sort of taste like dirty sour cream and onion (not in a potato skins left on the chips kind of way, more of a "wow, the 10 second rule really is more of a guideline and I lost the gamble this time" kind of way). The onion flavour has a sweet tang to it which is interesting..I guess. The odd chip has hints of faux bacon flavour (I think that lends to the dirty flavour). Not a lot of "sour cream" flavour. They have a light crunch that turns into a mushy almost pringles like potato flake blob in your mouth. As with most onion based flavours, the green onion taste builds up in your mouth after a while. I'm thinking that the people behind this flavour may treat their wait staff kind of poor and think that the rolled on the floor flavour is normal for wedges..or more likely, it's just another weak attempt from people who like describing chips more consuming said chips. Meh, inoffensive at best. Flavour tastes manufactured.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

ps..More Amy backup vocals (or the odd verse) in Dark Thoughts might not be a bad thing..I dunno, just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...