Skip to main content

Pathetic

Sometimes it's nice to just take comfort in the familiar. Based on my October 2015 blog post Dammit, and my regular postings related to the many side of pop punk, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Blink 182 is one of my comfort (ear) foods. There are long stretches where Dude Ranch,  Cheshire Cat and the rest of the pre-2005 catalogue reside in the shadows, but I always come back to them. Sometimes it takes hearing a song on the radio, seeing a picture of a bulls testicles, or listening to the Blink 155 podcast. The first two reasons don't really exist however the third I just got into a couple week ago. Blink 155, which started in the summer of 2017, is a podcast in which Canadians Josiah (Exclaim) and Sam (Perfect Youth [fantastic book about the first wave of punk across Canada]) are digging wayyyy deep into all 155 songs that Blink 182 has released. Each episode is centered (more or less [sometimes they get pretty far off topic {they ride the fine line of being a comedy podcast while still delivering superb facts, alternate versions and covers of Blink 182 songs ((or are they a music podcast who brings the funny?))}]) around a single Blink 182 song and the run time ranges from somewhere between 45minute and three hours. If you think this seems like a long time to talk about a 2-5 minute song you're wrong. I'm about a dozen episodes in (I picked off all the Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat [a few Enema] songs to listen to first) and every single episode is engaging and either reminds me of a song that I haven't listened to in a minute (and should listen to more often) or sheds new light on songs that may have fallen by the wayside in the past. Blink 155 is a new podcast that is still very much familiar and comforting. If you have or had any interest in Blink 182, it's well worth checking out. If you like random music facts and odd covers of popular (and obscure) songs, it's well worth checking out. If you like comedy podcasts, guess what I'm going to say..it's well worth checking out.

Now on to the chips. I mentioned co-op Gold PURE Kettle Cooked Potato Chips on January 11th this year under the Tales of Interest posting which at the time was just giving the general chip line props. Now it's time to get down to the nitty gritty, the specifics, the facts. PURE Sea Salt & Vinegar. I'll give you one guess what they taste like..a salty sweet malt vinegar kettle cooked chip. The skins were left on the potatoes and a good portion of the chips are cooked on the well done side. They have a mid-weight kettle cooked crunch and the seasoning is fairly well distributed throughout the bag (there's the odd dud that lacks seasoning). These are some of the best Salt & Vinegar chips on the market (right up there with Covered Bridge S&V [some might even say that they taste the exact same *wink wink* yet at an amazingly almost unbeatable price point {if you want a more detailed review of these chips you could probably read the Covered Bridge review and replace Covered Bridge with co-op Gold PURE}]). They have a unique sweetness to their flavour which goes well with the earthyness from the skins being left on combined with the well done dark russet potato chips. They're (somewhat) new yet very familiar. Top shelf chips that if you're into sweet S&V you should go out and grab a half dozen or so, they're in my regular recreational rotation.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth