Skip to main content

What Would Meek Do?

I was very late to the Pusha T game. When Pusha T put out King Push at the end of 2015 it came highly recommended through the Get Up On This podcast, so I checked it out and from that day on have fully been on board..which inevitably sent me back to the Clipse's classic Hell Hath No Fury and debut Lord Willin'. It's sort of odd it took me that long to get aboard, back in the early 2000's I was aware of the Clipse's radio hits (specifically Grindin' because of the Kardinal Offishall colab on it) but I just never took the time. Well, 2018 brought us King Push's newest offering Daytona. Is it fully of clever wordplay, hard rhymes, vivid pictures and top notch production? Yes. Does it feature a verse by Kanye that starts with "Poop. Scoop! Whoop. Whoopty-whoop!"? Yep (and the delivery of those few words is so infectious). Do I have any complaints about the album? Na, it's a little short I guess at 7 songs and just under 22 minutes (I consider it to be another EP rather than an album, similar to King Push) but those 22 minutes are absolute fire.

I'm a little slow on reviewing Lay's Southern Biscuits & Gravy (which was apparently the 2015 Do Us a Flavor winner..and re-released in 2018). They smell like rosemary. They taste like salty, creamy rosemary (but not too much rosemary to make it overpowering) chips..with a bit of a bite..like a mild black pepperish heat. The chips are standard mid crunch lays that are pretty uniform in colour (not really any brown chips and no skins). They're "Guaranteed Fresh Until April 24" 2018..but I'm consuming them on December 28th and there's no trace of them being stale, so you know, dates are meaningless usually. Pretty good chips, I'd place them in the sour cream and onion family as a second or third cousin. They're adventurous chips for those that prefer the beaten path and think of pepper as hot sauce and ketchup as being wild.

Biscuits & gravy are a southern states thing right?..Is Virginia considered the south?

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...