Skip to main content

Always Bet On Clark

Is Beer Cheese a classic cheese styling? I've had beer & cheddar soup, I thought that was pretty good..but I don't recall ever having beer cheese. Well, maybe Lay's is lying to me or maybe they're not, but one of their turn up the flavor..flavors..this year is Kettle Cooked Classic Beer Cheese (with an orange lightening bolt between Beer and Cheese). When I cracked the bag and took a whiff they smelt like somewhat stale chips (I think that's the beer in the beer cheese flavouring [the Guaranteed Fresh date is 21MAY2019]). I took a bite and the first thing that popped into my head was, "my, those chips are yeasty..with some thick seasoning (the coverage is fairly good, but I mean the actual seasoning is quite dense). Once you get past the initial yeasty flavour, you're met with a weird faux cheese mixed with..I don't know, it's weird..it's almost a the taste of a fair or carnival (I know you can't actually taste a fair/carnival, but you can smell it and the second half of the flavour of these chips I think is quite fairish). They're quite salty. The crunch is mid-weight for kettle cooked chips, they're crunchy but not aggressive. You don't really taste the potato part of the chip because the seasoning is quite present. Classic(?) Beer Cheese would be best suited to a 70g bag or so, I think if I consumed the entire bag I'd get quite tired of the flavour (it's a unique flavour, I'll give em that).

I first heard of Dead Bars on a podcast a while ago..I want to say 2014ish? I can't remember the name of the podcast, I believe it was a guy from the Seattle area doing it, that doesn't really matter though. Dead Bars stuck out in my mind, I don't believe they had any releases at that time but every once in a while I'd see their name pop up online. In 2017 they put out their debut LP, Dream Gig, on No Idea Records. I added it to my bandcamp wishlist (I believe it ended up on a few best of lists at the end of the year) and that is where it has sat for the most part for the last year and a half or so. I've listened to it a few times since, and enjoyed it, but for some reason I still haven't purchased it. Welp, Dead Bars play gruff festy mid-tempo beer soaked midwestern pop punk (I know they're from Seattle, but it still sounds midwestern to me..for the most part). I hear the odd sprinkling of indie rock (is indie rock a sound [doesn't that just mean independent rock? {I dunno, if that makes sense to you then cool, if not, cool}]). I think Dream Gig is a grower for me and one of these days will really click, but for now I'll leave it in my wishlist and venture back every once in a while. Oh, and Dead Bars is releasing their follow up Regulars on May 3, so go check that out as well..or just go check that out. Either way, Dead Bars are worth a listen.

Stay hydrated,
marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'