Skip to main content

10,000 Hours

Hardbite's chip names are always, um..I dunno, you sort of pull at the collar of your shirt looking awkward after stating the name. This brings me to Drop'n Mad Beets "handcrafted style" chips. Lightly salted beet chips (when I consumed them they were 9 months past their best before date [I'm just not very good at getting to non-typical chips for tasting]). Scent, like beets. They had a nice crunch, toward the thick aggressive side of the crunch spectrum..the chips then gives way to a slight softness after a couple chomps. Taste, like beets..that have been kettle cooked and lightly salted. The chips are on the smaller side (diameter wise). They have sweet beety goodness. Drop'n Mad Beets are a welcome change of pace however not getting into the regular rotation (these notes are from Feb 7, 2017..so my assessment at that tie held true, I haven't consumed them again since [after reading my notes I do however want to get another bag]). Halfway through the bag I tried them with sunset gourmet spicy ranch dip..went pretty well together.

During the Rhymesayers record store day sale I picked up a handful of releases that I had in my want list but never got around to purchasing. Enter Evidence's Weather or Not. Was Evidence's delivery laid back and buttery smooth? Yes. Were the lyrics clever with wordplay that painted a gallery of Bob Ross' in your skull? Yep. Were the beats complex yet unpretentious? Check. Do I think y'all will enjoy this album as much as me? 100 percent.

Stay hydrated,
marC 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth