Skip to main content

Death & taxes (or the Greg Rekus interview)


Hello chip and music lovers. It looks like I've managed to wrangle another interview (via email) for this here website. This time around I was lucky enough to get Greg Rekus to answer my questions.
My introduction to the Rekus of it all was through High Five Drive at Park CC, and the West End CC in Brandon. HFD played Brandon fairly frequently when I was in high school and became what felt like an almost local band (I want to say the Teney connection didn’t hurt the frequency of visits either). When HDF broke up in the late aughts/early whatever last decade was, Greg started to record and tour as a solo act. Since then he's continued to tour (primarily) solo and formed the Inside Job, the band that he records with. And when I say he's continued to tour I mean it. The guy doesn't sit still for long, just go to his website to check out his upcoming tour dates if you don't believe me (and those are just upcoming, he recently finished a tour of western Canada and the west coast of the states)..While you're at it check his bandcamp page which has his entire solo catalogue including his most recent (Jan 2020 release) album, Death & taxes. Part folk, part punk, full on music machine. So without further adieu....
Music
SaltyBag: Are you originally from Winnipeg? How old were you when you started playing/writing music? What bands were you in prior to High Five Drive?
GregRekus: Yep, born and raised in Winnipeg. Grew up in north Kildonan and moved to Osborne Village in 1999, around the same time that I started putting on punk shows and really got into the scene. I played piano as a little kid but was never that great at it. I had a lot of trouble reading music and never really got that part down. I would play the song enough times that I memorized it so I gave the illusion that I knew what I was doing. Before HFD I was in Lacking Intelligence which was a 4-piece pop punk band with some friends I went to high school with. I played for a short period of time in a band called the Pookies but I just played guitar
SB: Was there any overlap between Lacking intelligence/Pookies and High Five Drive? How did HFD end up forming? At what point did Jowsey enter the fray? I believe I saw him play in Gizmo but I can’t remember if that was on a shared bill with HDF or not.
GR:  Yes, with Lacking intelligence and the Pookies there was some overlap.  The Pookies only had 1 guitar and wanted a second, we already played a lot of shows together so I kinda jumped on board for about a year. After both bands stopped playing is when HFD started up.  Jowsey wasn't there at the start and it was about 6 months in that he joined.
SB: Do you remember the first show that you played..where it was, or who it was with?
GR: Definitely! It was with Lacking Intelligence, and sorta a 1-time band with a few friends and we did some covers. It was at my high school. The administration wasn't super into the idea but eventually gave the green light. I rented a bunch of gear from Long and McQuade, and the music teacher found someone who could run the sound board for a slurpee, and a large pizza with everything on it. It was great! I instantly  knew at that moment that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life
SB: Was it a lunch hour show? That’s something that I heard about on podcasts and have read in interviews but it just seems so foreign to me, the closest I ever came to seeing live music at my school was a talent show in junior high, but that was just 1 song from each band.
GR:   Yes.  It took a while to convince administration it was a good idea and a lot of teachers complained about the noise but we did it!
SB: At what point did you decide that being a touring musician would become a way of life for you?
GR: It's hard to pin point the exact moment. Moneen was a big reason I do this. Before discovering that band, it seemed like touring wasn't something that was accessible. But meeting them, they were just regular people who were just going for it! HFD toured more then any local band, but less then any touring band, so it wasn't until I started the solo thing that I really got a taste for being on the road all the time. It's just so simple. Everyday it's clear what I gotta do and I do it. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit of a get away from life, at the same time it's kinda how I imagine life should be. I still value my time at home and without dark there is no light, but I feel I have the perfect balance in life
SB: I believe I’ve seen you run sound in Winnipeg, does this cross over into production as well?
GR:  Definitely!  Being in both I have experience of being on stage when I’m turning the knobs and vice versa.  Also being used to long hours.
SB: Do you think that spinning in circles is a gateway drug?
GR: Ha! No not really. I do miss my wireless unit and my leg always gets wrapped in my guitar cord
SB: You spin like a mother lover up on your stomp box, have you found that it impacts the life span of your patch cords?
GR: It hasn't yet broke one, as far as I know. Sometimes it ends up under my foot and I keep stomping on it and wonder if that will do anything. But usually I lose the patch cord, or lend it out and don't get it back, before it breaks
SB: Speaking of stomp box. Is that straight from the mind of Greg Rekus or had you seen it, or something similar, used before? How many tries did it take to get it right? Did the rhythm stomping come naturally or did you have to practice before your first solo show/tour?
GR: No, I can't take all the credit. A former room mate made it for me after I saw a band called Hoots and Hellmouth. They played the Winnipeg folk fest and I was on monitors that year. They were great and had a board with tambourines on it that they stomped on so that's kinda where I got the idea. The one I have now is version 2. The first one kept breaking and I had to replace the top part a bunch of times. We made some design improvements and spent a lot more money on the top sheet. I did have to practice quite a bit when I first started, and certain rhythms are easier than others. I guess you just kinda stick to what you know
SB: At your annual Brandon show you mentioned that you were heading to Europe later this spring, do you have a stomp box that you leave at a friend’s place in Europe, or how do you work touring over there solo?
GR: Europe is a bit trickier. I travel by bus and train mostly, so a giant stomp box would be impossible. The last few tours I’ve found a slab of wood and attached some rubber feet to the bottom so it still kinda resonates. I found when it was just on the ground it was like I was stomping on just the floor. I have a small pickup that kinda makes a thump but I’m going to try to see if I can figure out a trigger system for future tours. I still tape a few tambourines to it. It's not perfect but most time you get the idea of what I’m trying to do
SB: Have you ever played with a euro edition Inside Job?
GR: No.  Not yet at least.  It's really hard to organize and there just isn't a lot of money floating around. It would have to be something someone would have to spend a bunch of time on for the fun of it.  Not that those people don't exist, but they’re few and far between
SB: Punk, Metal, Folk. What's your favourite album from each of the genres?
GR: Always a tough question. Not sure if I really have a favorite, as in better then all the others, but one album I’ve come back to year after year is Heavy Petting Zoo by NoFX. There are definitely better albums out there, as well as better NoFX albums, but for some reason it's always kinda been a personal fav. Not super into metal but Reign in Blood has always been a go to album for me. Folk, I’m a huge fan of John Prine and he has a greatest hits that I probably play the most, if that counts
SB: Yeah, favourite (of anything) is an almost impossible question to answer and I appreciate your answer. Was Heavy Petting Zoo your intro to NoFX?
GR: No, Punk in Drublic was the first time ever I heard them, but I became a fan with White Trash
SB: For some reason I thought there would have been a thrash influence that fed into the tech punk side of HFD. Was Brandon insular back in the day or did HDF play with a lot of metal/metalcore bands on tour?
GR:  We played with everyone.  Tons of different acts.  Brent, our original bass player, was a bit of a metal head back in the day and he had a big influence on the tech side of the band
SB: I don’t believe I’ve ever listened to Prine before, so I threw it on while I was going through the rest of this interview for follow ups. Shit’s fantastic. Thanks.
GR: Awesome!  Yeah, he's quite the song writer, and great stuff to listen to on the highway
SB: Is there any rap in the mix for you?
GR: I like the Beastie Boys a bunch but outside of that it's never really appealed to me. I mean, [I] respect [it] and it's not like I don't think it's music or any dumb opinions like that. Just not my thing
SB: What brought on forming of the Inside Job rather than staying straight up solo?
GR: I felt my first record was good but not really as good as the live show. I felt a lot of the people and bands I played with were full bands on record, and I was getting left behind just being a solo. I would love to tour with a band again someday, but it's just so hard logistically. I've got a really great thing going with the touring solo thing and I think maybe a best of both worlds [is] being able to do play solo but be a band on record
SB: You’ve sampled other songs within your originals before but I don’t recall any full-on covers recorded. On your most recent album, Death & Taxes, you cover Streams of Whiskey. Are you a fan of The Pogues and/or Shane MacGowan? Should apple “U2” Red Roses for Me onto everyone’s iPhones?
GR: There was a John Prine tune on my second record “Punkoustic”, Please Don't Bury Me, and I do play the odd cover live just for fun. I am a fan of the Pogues and it kinda happened when I played with the Dust Rhinos last St Pat's Day. I had to learn a few Irish tunes so I did Dirty Old Town and Streams of Whiskey. It really fit so I started doing it on tour and then we learned it for the record
SB: What are your thoughts on the music of Gowan? I didn’t realize how much of the Canadian airwaves he occupied until I downloaded his greatest hits a decade ago and I knew a good number of the songs. Not just recognized, I was able to sing along to an astonishing number.
GR: The man is a legend for sure! Maybe also an example of partying too hard, kinda among the ranks of Ozzie and Brian Wilson. Touring and playing is not an easy life and can take its toll on the body and the mind. I feel his music was very honest in a you get what you get kinda way. He wasn't the best singer but did it anyways and this is definitely something I can relate to
SB: Damn, I wasn’t aware of the man, just the music. Sounds like I have some reading to do.
GR:  Yeah, he lived quite the life for sure!
SB: You tour relentlessly. Can you hip the salty bag readers to some bands that we may not have heard of but you’ve had the privilege of playing with.
GR: Soooooo many! Grotoko did a bunch of the dates with me in western Canada. Dandelion Massacre and John Underwood are 2 I played with last night that are awesome! River Jacks have been good buds forever. Not In Public I played with in Vancouver. Broken Shoes from Victoria Island. This tour alone has been super great. Too many to name everyone
SB: I really enjoyed Grotoko when she played with you in Brandon. She has great songs and a really interesting stage presence, your sets complimented one another well. Did River Jacks get their hook up to play Brandon through you? I caught them last fall at The 40 and damn they were fantastic, if it was through you, thanks.
GR:  I’m not sure.  Very possible.  That's that way the scene works.  We all gotta stick together and all the rad people need to meet all the other rad people
Chip Questions
SB: What chip/flavour do you think most accurately represents your most recent album, Death & Taxes?
GR: All Dressed. A little bit of everything
SB: What chip/flavour would you associate with the music of Greg Rekus past (pre The Dude Abides)?
GR: Ketchup Flavour. It's not for everyone but people that like it really like it
SB: They definitely do. When I was living out in Calgary in the late aughts I had more than one person come up to me recognizing my HFD (Evil Dead) shirt.
GR: That's awesome!  That was our biggest seller, I think we did something like 6 runs of that shirt
SB: What is your favourite base chip? (potato [‘standard’ fried, baked, kettle cooked], corn, multi-grain, sweet potato, beet, parsnip, carrot, etc.)
GR: I would probably be half way between Standard and Kettle Cooked. I like the crunch but it also depends on what the seasoning is
SB: What is your favourite chip seasoning? Not a specific brand but a general flavour. (current or discontinued [or if you’re feeling wild your favourite current, and your favourite discontinued flavours])
GR: All Dressed is my favorite. It's like the perfect mix between everything I like. I'm the worst at decisions usually so this way I can just pick everything
SB: What’s your favourite all dressed brand? I love me some Presidents Choice Loads of All Dressed. Have you tried Zapp’s Voodoo/Voodoo Heat? They’re in the all dressed family and absolutely fantastic (and only available stateside). Another all dressed adjacent flavour is co-op gold Pure loaded burger (though I haven’t seen them in a couple of months, not sure if co-op dropped that flavour or not). Another one to keep your eye out for is Covered Bridge All Dressed, I saw on their facebook a month or so ago that they were going to be getting into the all dressed game in 2020 (they used to make loaded hot dog [and make the co-op Pure chips] which was a fantastic semi all dressed flavour).
GR: WOW!  Will definitely check for that.  I'm a big fan of Covered Bridge and didn't realize they had an all dressed.  I just got back from a tour in the USA and tried the ruffles all dressed down there again.  I think ours up here has more flavor and [is] less salty, but maybe it's just me
SB: What is your favourite bag of chips? (brand, flavour, style) Can you please explain why they are your favourite?
GR: Old Dutch I grew up with and I usually gravitate towards them. So many flavors and I particularity like the box with the double bag in it! You eat it and there is still another one to eat
SB: I wish more companies double bagged it. As someone who typically downs the whole bag in a single sitting, it’s nice to have something there to help pace.
GR: Definitely, I’m a van snacker when I drive so sometimes you get in a bit of a trance and don't realize you ate the whole thing
SB: What is the oddest, enjoyable, chip that you have come across as a touring musician? What’s the oddest chip that you’ve seen but passed on trying?
GR: Wasabi was one I thought was good yet weird. I've never eaten a baked potato and thought to put that stuff on it but it was actually pretty good. It's hard cuz I eat vegan so I’ve passed on a bunch for other reasons. I would probably try anything once. Crab chips if I had to pick. Those were in eastern Europe and were kinda a turn off
SB: Was it Lay’s Wasabi from their do us a flavor competition? I dug those. I don’t believe I’ve had crab; I’ll have to keep my eye out for those. Seafood chip flavours I’ve found are very hot and cold, some are okay and some taste more like fish food.
GR: Yeah, I think it was.  I never tried the crab chips cuz it said there is actually crab in it
SB: What is more important, the base chip or the seasoning? 
GR: The seasoning, I think. Base chip is very important of course, but I would sooner eat a sub par chip with awesome flavour then an amazing chip that's kinda plain. The seasoning is what keeps me coming back for more
SB: Do you recall the Rave chip line from Old Dutch? Man, those were awesome chips. (I miss their extra salt & vinegar, and their buffalo wing chips)
GR: Yeah totally! Superstore has a line that is kinda like that. Double or triple seasoning. Sometimes it's too strong even for me. I think it's called “tons of all dressed” or maybe “Loads of all dressed” few tongues can endure
SB: Yeah, I love me some “Loads of” chips. President’s Choice kettle cooked Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar also has quite aggressive coverage, it’s probably the closest to extra S&V that I’ve found.
Speaking of extinct chip flavours, did you ever try co-op Gold’s Jalapeno Dill Chips? Do you think the co-op made a huge mistake by eliminating this chip flavour from their chip line? 
GR: I don't think I tried it because it wasn't vegan. If I did, it didn't leave a giant impact on my palate, I guess. It must be a hard job to decide what flavors to keep and chop
SB: Yeah, when I emailed them about it their answer equated to, “it didn’t sell enough. But you could try dill pickle, or jalap and cheddar”. I think someone’s gotta pick up the torch though, spicy dill pickle is quite nice.
Do you consider Pringle's to be chips and/or an acceptable chip option?
GR: Tube chips are a bit of a grey area. I will go through phases where I crave them, and I do like the consistency of each chip. They are hard to eat when driving and my hand gets caught so I gotta take the other hand off the wheel to free myself and drive with my knees
SB: Haha, sounds like a safety hazard, you might want to avoid them (I’m a pretty adamant detractor of Pringles). I feel your response to chip vs seasoning sort of tipped your hand for this answer. What’s your favourite tube chip? In my few times dipping into tubes I found that “No Name” (the yellow Superstore brand) are actually a better chip than Pringles however the seasoning is oddly only on one side of the chip.
GR: pringles is probably my fav tube chip.  Sometimes I’ll do the Lay’s ones and like them, but pringles BBQ is my go-to
SB: How do you feel about dipping seasoned chips? In my experience some people find it odd to dip flavoured chips..(ketchup chips into dill pickle dip, or barbeque chips into chili).
GR: I can go either way. It can lead to new amazing tastes but most of my snacking is done when driving or sometimes when I’m working late. It seems to just introduce the danger of a mess at a time when I don't have the means to really clean it up. I like a self-contained snack and that's why the chip bag has always been my weapon of choice in the fight of hunger
SB: Makes sense. Taking that into consideration, when you get to the bottom of a bag, do you ‘drink’ the crumbs? I’ve found it to be very difficult when driving.
GR: Yep!  I definitely tip it back
SB: What chip flavour do you think should exist but doesn’t?
GR: Veggie Dog chips. Maybe it's cuz I’ve been vegan for so long but I love me a good veggie dog. Would be neat to see if a chip could hold the line on this taste also. If I can pick another, I would love to see a Bull’s Eye Bold Original chip also
SB: I’ve only tried veggie dogs once and was not into them. What brand of veg dogs would you recommend? Bulls eye bold would be a bangin’ chip flavour…I think I might toy with this idea to make a dip.
GR: Smart dogs made by light life are my all-time fav!  Yves is ok, but not as good
SB: How long have you been vegan for? Being born and bred in the Peg, was Propagandhi a major factor in going vegan?
GR: Veggie for 20 years and vegan for about 10 of it.  Indirectly it was a factor.  I had many friends that were into it, so I was exposed to veggie food for a long time.  One day I just kinda woke up and couldn't do it anymore
SB: So, being vegan, that means that you no longer eat Cheezies? Do you miss them and if yes, have you found any sort of vegan Cheezies adjacent snack?
GR: Correct, I no longer eat them.  There is a vegan version that are ok.  I don't think there is a lot of food substance in a cheezie to begin with so not surprised it can be faked pretty easy


There you have it folks. A 2 email thread between a fantastic musical man and myself. Don't forget to check out his music and if you dig it, purchase it..or better yet, go see him live. He's a fantastic performer and super friendly..and that way you can buy a cd or LP directly from him. 
 Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'