Skip to main content

Since Yesterday or Umbrella

It's almost impossible to answer what album you would want if you were trapped on an island. When I've contemplated it, one of my scenarios is that I take comps and soundtracks because it would give me a broad spectrum of music on a few albums. Two of my desert island albums are soundtracks; This is England, and Can't Hardly Wait. These soundtracks are at the top of my list for 2 reasons; 1 - they both have killer music, 2 - the movies are stellar.

If you haven't seen This is England; it's set in, as you might have guessed, England, in 1983. It follows a group of ska/punk skinheads and the the National Front trying to pull said punks/skins into their fascist political agenda. Being set in '83 UK and following a group of skins, the soundtrack is full of Jamaican (Toots & The Mytals have 3 songs [and this is actually the first time I was introduced to Toots music]) and 2tone ska, with some soul, new wave (this is how I found about Strawberry Switchblade), a dash of punk (UK Subs), and score and dialogue snippets interspersed throughout between the songs. You can connect the dots between all the music, however the styles are still very varied and when the score tracks come on it gives it that much more depth and feeling (fantastic instrumental pieces). Go watch the movie, listen to the soundtrack...then watch the mini series sequels This is England 86, 88, and 90. Some of the most gut wrenching, and funny, drama that I've had the chance to take in, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Can't Hardly Wait is a classic 90's teen movie. If you haven't seen it, it's a graduation afterparty movie that stars Ethen Embry, enough said. Since it's a party, the soundtrack full of the best pop-punk/alt-rock/rap/rock that 1997 had to offer mixed with party classics. I want to say it was a mix of mainstream and somewhat underground, however, I was too young at this time (maybe some of the bands I don't think of as being main stream were and I just wasn't aware of them) to confidently make this statement without a caveat. This is the movie that introduced me to Blink 182 by way of Dammit. There was Third Eye Blind, Busta Rhymes, Missy Elliott, and The Replacements just to name a few...and I believe (one hit(?) wonders?) Dog's Eye View with Umbrella, and Brougham with I Walked In. The mix of rap and rock (and the music that's adjacent to those root genres) is perfect and transitions perfectly within the soundtrack. It could be that it's one of those, it takes you back to your happy place, type things for me..and maybe that's why it ranks so high on my list, but damn does it hit for me. My only complaint is that it wasn't a double disc, there's so much good music in the movie that didn't make the cut (Eve 6 - Open Road Song, Yaz - Only You!!, G Love and Special Sauce - Cold Beverage, More Human than Human.......just to name a few). Man I love this movie and soundtrack.

A month ago or so I picked up a bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn gourmet (I don't know why it says popcorn gourmet (then popcorn in french) on the bag [maybe it makes grammatical sense to put the french words for popcorn after gourmet..but it doesn't make sense to put popcorn before gourmet in english..and the bag's primary language is english, why not make the english reading be proper?]). Movie Theatre Butter Flavour. No artificial colours or flavours, 100% whole grain popcorn (how is any popcorn not 100% whole grain? Are other popcorn manufacturers Pringles'ing their stuff?), source of fibre, GF Gluten Free. (I find the advertising/branding on chip [in this case popcorn] bags funny. A lot of it didn't need to be said, it's junk food, stop fronting like you're better than your neighbour). Now to cracking the bag, it smelt like a popcorn, however not a movie theatre. The popcorn pieces are relatively crunchy. The seasoning is somewhat grainy. The flavour is..table salty with a hint of sweetness..I guess there's some "butter" aftertaste. Honestly, quite disappointing. I actually prefer popcorn from the theatre that's been sitting around for a day or 2 and this does not simulate that flavour experience (it should go without saying that it doesn't simulate the flavour of fresh theatre popcorn either). So I threw it in the oven for a bit..maybe a bit of a heat up will get it's flavour particles cranking...it was slightly better...so I baked it for a bit longer almost to the point of browning it..slightly better again...but still a resounding meh overall. Pass on this 'movie theatre' popcorn, unless it's free..cause, like, free is free...it's not as though it's disgusting, I still ate almost the entire bag in one sitting.

Stay hydrated,
marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth