Skip to main content

A Better Place, A Better Time

A couple months ago I was at a buddies place for board game night and he asked me if I had tried Spicy Salt & Vinegar yet. I, had, not..hadn't even heard of them so I was pretty excited (him and his wife have hipped me to new chip flavours quite frequently [thanks R&M L]). When he brought a little bowl out for me to taste I was even more stoked. I tried the bowl..then this whole pandemic thing hit and I forgot about the chips. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I was at the co-op and I saw a bag of Ridgies (Old Dutch) Spicy Salt & Vinegar potato chips (croustiles)..well damn, I forgot about those. From what I remembered (I didn't take notes the first time around) they were sort of in the all dressed family. It should go without saying that I grabbed a bag for the ol' salty cellar. Jump forward 2 weeks, to tonight. I cracked open the bag..and they strangely smell like mesquite bbq. Popped one of the liluns in my mouth and was initially met with a mesquite bbq flavour with a bit of vinegar tartness and a medium almost jalapish heat. As I consumed my way deeper into the bag the vinegar started to become more noticeable, almost on the back end though. These chips really take you on a journey, they start out with a smokey mesquite flavour quickly followed by a fairly aggressive vinegar tartness and topped off with a medium heat from the mid point of mastication through to swallowing, with a lingering mix of vinegar tartness and jalap heat afterwards. The chips are a medium cut thickness with ruffles sized ridges (1mm or so) which lends to a nice dense yet slightly soft crunch. Not much for skins but Ridgies never do. These chips are quite bangin' however the flavour label is a bit of a misdirection. Yes there's elements of S&V, but I'd label them as a spicy all dressed due to the wider mix of flavours.

At the start of the month when I wrote about The Abruptors it occurred to me that I've never written about Streetlight Manifesto on this blog..which is quite surprising to me because they've been one of my favourite bands for the last 17 years. Due to the Keasbey Nights of it all I was tuned into Everything Goes Numb upon release, and from that first listen to today I haven't put that album down, it's still 55 minutes of near perfection. It's easy to label Streetlight as a ska-punk band, there's a brass section, upbeat tempos, it's ska, right? When I describe them to someone who hasn't heard them before I'll refer to them as a ska-punk band. It's however a bit of a misdirection, there's the ska foundation but Thomas's guitar playing doesn't necessarily fit the mold, it's more of a loose-wristed jangle for the most part. There's elements of hardcore including a lot of rapid-fire delivery of lyrics and with some heavier guitar parts and breakdowns, but it never really crosses over into ska-core. In general the music to me is like the smell of the air after it rains, it's refreshing, invigorating. The content of their lyrics vary slightly from album to album. For the sake of keeping this blog short I'll just talk about Everything Goes Numb which had an almost noir influence to the lyrics containing a lot of underdogs, forgotten people, death, and anti-authority. The lyrics are primarily storytelling focused, often switching back and fourth from first person to an observers point of view. There however always seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel no matter how dark the songs seem to veer, at the end of the day Thomas's characters all seem to persevere in spite of the darkness. Oh, and there are a number of jabs at the remaining members of Catch 22 (Thomas's former band). If anything written above sounds even remotely interesting to you go listen to Streetlight's 2003 masterpiece Everything Goes Numb. The proceed to listen to everything Streetlight's put out, or Thomas going solo and re-interpreting his own Streetlight songs with an acoustic.

Stay hydrated,
marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'