Skip to main content

I Ain't Lazy

What do you get when you take some of the best base chips made in Canada and bring them to the prairies and smash them together with honey dill..co-op Gold Pure Honey Dill Kettle Cooked Potato Chips (Born Local, Ace Burpee). Last summer Ace hooked with Red River co-op in Winnipeg and put out a super limited edition chip flavour..honey dill (that was only sold at Red River co-op stores [if you're unfamiliar with the Canadian co-op chain, there are many sub sets that are all under the "co-op" banner, so in this case {last summer} the honey dill were only available under the Red River set]). Well, it must have went over well because a couple weeks ago my wife was at the Heritage co-op here in Brandon and low and behold they had Pure Honey Dill chips. It looks like co-op expanded it's honey dill chip flavour supply to cover stores outside of Winnipeg (I'm not sure if it's Manitoba wide, or prairie wide..if anyone has seen them out of Manitoba let me know). I was lucky enough to try a bag last summer (thanks Sam) but didn't take notes, so here I sit with a new bag of honey dill. When I cracked the bag I was met with a creamy dill scent. The chips looks like standard co-op gold Pure, darker chips with lots of skins and non-uniform sizing (or, some of the best base chips I've had). Put it in your mouth and you're met with (in no particular order) garlic, lemon juice, dill, honey and just the slightest bit of mayo (in the past when I've made honey dill sauce [for chicken fingers, fries..whatever you want to dip in it] I've just put fresh dill into a mix of honey and mayo..after tasting these chips I think I'm going to have to tinker with my dip recipe and add some depth). The levels of each individual flavour are pretty on point, there's nothing that really overpowers the others, just a nice mix. The chip seasoning has the slightest bit of grainyness to it (I think this is the honey powder...and it's a nice very slight texture change from standard flavours). When my wife came home to let me know she found these chips [editor's note: I asked how many bags she picked up, she replied 'four' to which I unhappily responded with 'why only four?'] she asked me how many bags I would have picked up, [editor's note: How many were on the shelves?...] I told her 10...and I would recommend the same to you. Bangin'.

In 2005 John Smith and Pip Skid (Hip-Hop Wieners) found themselves (I believe) living out in the Maritimes (based on interviews and pods and such I want to say that Pip for sure lived out there, I'm not sure if Bazooka Joe (fka John Smith) was living out there or just visiting. That doesn't really matter, what does matter is that while they were out east they hooked up with Scribble Jam multi-winner Skratch Bastid, and that relationship produced a Canadian classic rap album, Taking Care of Business. Both Smith and Skid deliver hard rhymes, that are clever as hell and are drenched in a dark sense of humor that could only be the product of Manitoba living. Hip-Hop Weiners don't front, they just write about what they know, sometimes they're justifiably bitter or angry but never in a woe-is-me kind of way. Bastid comes through with scratches and production (10 of the 16 tracks) that bring the party and compliment Smith and Skid's rhymes perfectly without taking over. The instrumental of this album would be fantastic on it's own, but the work of art that it became is like I already said, classic. I should mention the guest producers; Gordski and JoRun and guest emcees; Kunga 219, Tachichi, Sleep, and Yosuke, that definitely hold their own on this heavyweight of an album. I can't say enough for Taking Care of Business. I believe I picked this up when P&C played a show (and before I really knew anything about the Break Bread Crew) at the North Hill Inn in 2005, I went to the merch table and asked what albums John Smith had out, I don't have a clue who put this album in my hands but damn was I lucky.

Stay hydrated,
marc

ps..yes I know that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are different provinces, but they both fall under the Maritimes banner so I'm sticking with my take that the colab's above basically mirror eachother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth