Skip to main content

No Mas

 Old Dutch Ridgies has put out some interesting flavours. This past April I stepped into one of their more standard(ish) flavours (if you're Canadian)..Ridgies Extra Ketchup. As with all Ridgies, Old Dutch brings you the Ruffles style mini ridges on their chips. The flavour is slightly sweet with some fairly tart tomato. The crunch, well, the crunch is medium. There's something all dressed to these chips but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd say that the 'extra' in this bag is the vinegar portion of the ketchup seasoning, which if you've read any of my vinegar based flavour reviews you'll know that I'm down with that. I dig these.

I went to my first show since Feb(?) 2020 a couple weeks ago. I had the joy of catching Clipwing, MakeWar, Brendan Kelly (solo), and A Wilhelm Scream at the Park Theatre in Winnipeg. Here's a few of my observations:

- Clipwing is a great band, I've seen them open a lot of shows in Winnipeg and they do it well. Opening sucks but they have the music and energy to nail it. 

- I never really took notice that MakeWar was a trio. They tweak their songs live a bit which makes it interesting. They have a controlled looseness that was really fun. I'm not sure if it's just the sound mix that night or what, but No Mas live absolutely slays. I'm not sure if the bass just got buried a bit on the album, or if the bass player throws a bitta spice into playing it live, but dang. MakeWar is such a great band.

- Brendan Kelly is a performer. His mix of crowd work/baiting, sense of humor and when he plays his songs being absolutely on point is a rarity (at least for the bands/musicians that I've seen).

- A Wilhelm Scream melt faces. Holy technical batman. Nuno Pereira is a ball of energy and positivity. Everyone with a guitar (yes, that includes Bass), absolutely shreds, it's mind blowing how Brian J. Robinson shreds bass. I'm not quite sure how Nicholas Pasquale Angelini's hands/arms didn't melt off while they were moving at the speed of light.

Stay hydrated,

Marc

ps. Instagram asked the age of saltybag204, then got upset that I said it was 7 and removed the account because it was 'too young' to use instagram. I'll get something going on instagram again soon (as that's the only social media account that I post on regularly associated with this blog)

pps. I haven't quite been hitting the bi-weekly posting on here the past few months, that'll probably get back on track. If you're a longtime reader (if those exist) THANK YOU, keep checking back as this blog won't die. If you're new to the blog, THANK YOU for checking out my rambling, tell others and come back to read again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...