Skip to main content

1227

 Mike Park puts out fantastic music, either with music that he's physically making or albums that he puts out through Asian Man Records he rarely puts out something that I'm not into. I think it's because he puts out music that he believes in. One of the bands that falls into the 'puts out through Asian Man' category is Sarchasm. I got their first couple LPs that Mr. Park put out (Beach Blanket Bummer Pop [2019] and S/T [2020]) and quite enjoyed them but when Conditional Love came out at the end of 2022 I for some reason didn't check it out and therefore never purchased the album....that is until the pre-order for the new Abruptors album popped up. I was trying to find an album or two to fill out my order and put on Conditional Love and was suddenly disappointed in myself for missing out on 2 months of listening to Conditional Love. This album hits so hard, which is somewhat bitter sweet as it's Sarchasm's swan song..to quote Homer Simpson, "And what a [swan song]!". The music is indie rock punk...or indie punk rock..there's some early 2000s indie rock with punk rock energy throughout..there's also something slightly folky lurking in the background, maybe not necessarily in most of the sound but it's just sort of there, you know what I mean (you can't know what I mean because it doesn't make sense, but like, you know?). The lyrics are pissed off, yet have an amazing sense of (sometimes sardonic) optimism that things can get better, they acknowledge the shit that is life these days but I don't feel they dwell in it. At the end of it all (if you like physical media and purchased the LP) you're surprised by an absolutely amazing cover (but studio recorded) of The Mountain Goats' This Year (not listed on the jacket or digitally) which summarizes the tone of Conditional Love perfectly...or does Conditional Love expand on the tone of This Year perfectly. Does it matter, does any of this matter. Go listen to Conditional Love, you won't regret it. Heck, even purchase the LP and don't listen to this album until it comes in the mail, if my description of it sounds good to you you're not likely to be disappointed.

Whenever I go to post a new chip review on the blog I have to search to see if I've already posted my take on the bag du jour because like, flavours aren't brand specific. Tonight I found that to date I don't appear to have reviewed President's Choice World of Flavours Korean Barbecue Flavour. I believe I've had Korean BBQ from other brands in the past and enjoyed them so taking that into consideration and PCs track record I had high hopes for this bag, which were fully met. Medium crunch ridged chips (Wavy Lays style ridges, couple mm's deep) but that's just the crunchy conduit for flavour, I don't F with PC for the base chip (which are perfectly adequate), I'm here for the flavour baby! Bit of sweet, some soy sauce with a bit of smoke followed by a mild heat...less than jalap, but enough to make you go, "now that's a mild heat". There's the slightest "meat" flavour, I don't know how to describe it better than that, it's just like, "meat" but in the background enough so it doesn't wreck the chips...or maybe the "meat" flavour that I'm tasting is a mix of green onion the soy sauce. I'm staying for the sweetness and the mild heat, the rest of the flavour adds to the complexity but it's above my head. These chips are good, go try them.

Stay hydrated,

Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Lean On Me

I first saw The Flatliners on May 9, 2003. They were opening for Bigwig/The Planet Smashers on the grind tour and kicked ass. Their sound has changed since that date but it hasn't stopped them from becoming one of my favourite bands both recorded and live. Because of my affinity for The Flatliners I was drawn to The Warehouse (Calgary) on September 26, 2007. Having never heard the other bands that were to be playing that night I had very few preconceived notions (I did very little, super lazy, research), I was just there to see The Flatliners and hoped the other bands didn't suck. To my absolute surprise and amazement, the opening? band (might have been 2nd of 4, I can't remember for sure [it really doesn't matter]) The Peacocks absolutely slayed. This 3 piece punkabilly band from Winterthur, Switzerland owned the stage. There was no fancy lighting, costumes or pyrotechnics..just three guys in jeans and black shirts rocking out. When they played there was pure uncut en