Skip to main content

Quiet Violence / No More Sleep

 When I saw that Spencer Jo was touring central Canada I made a note of it...so just over a month ago I went to a show in Winnipeg with my wife. Spencer Jo, Grotoko and Borrowed Standards put on an amazing show. 

Borrowed Standards opened up (this was my first time hearing his music) with a set of aggressive acoustic folk. If you told me Borrowed Standards put out an album on Plan-It-X I would believe you. Folk that sounds like it's about to go off the rails, but stays on track the whole time. 

Next up was the draw for me, Spencer Jo. Before their set I had mentioned that Quit It! hadn't played Guts & Glory and asked if they were going to play it that night. Long story short, they explained why Quit It! took Guts & Glory out of the set and asked if that was a request. Well, I didn't intend it to be a request, but if they wanted to play it who was I to stand in their way, haha. Spencer Jo plays more straight forward folk with a hint of punk and has a presence on stage that is quite fantastic. They intro the songs and talk a bit of politics (when applicable), but in no way was there preaching. I really dug the insight that they provided. There's a beauty to the way  Spencer Jo writes music/lyrics (and as my wife pointed out they have a fantastic voice). Guts & Glory did not disappoint one bit, there's something about that song that makes one take flight. There were also a few lines that I hadn't noticed listening to the album prior to seeing them live, for example the gnarly line in Guns at the Border, "So if you march with the enemy, carry seeds wherever you go. So that when you're dead in the dirt, something beautiful might grow". If you haven't checked out Spencer Jo's most recent solo album The Water, do  yourself a favour and go check it out now.

Last up was Grotoko. I think this was my third time seeing them solo (they also opened up for Spencer Jo's other band Quit It! in Winnipeg last year). Grotoko/Blue McLeod plays somewhat quirky folk with a myriad of instruments (when recorded) or, when live, an acoustic guitar and a kazoo. Their stage presence is somewhat reserved with dry wit sprinkled throughout which I find really charming. Grotoko has a pop element to their music that when it hits can have you bopping right along. If you get the chance to see them you should, you'll leave with a smile on your face.

Not only was the music at this show amazing...but the show started and ended on time. That was tight. Also the weird electronic music between sets by Freakingsnap was weird and awesome.

This is a salty snack blog, I guess I should also write some words about that. My wife brought me home these bags of Kurkure "Flavours from India" rice/corn twists. 

Masala Munch: smells like curry (I think). They look like, and have the crunch of, cheetos. Weeyow, these have a bit of a bite to em. The aftertaste is a mix of corn and chili pepper spice. The seasoning is curry (I believe) it's familiar, decent amount of chili powder in the mix. Tasty. If you get heartburn you should probably have some tums on hand.

Chilli Chatka: (same base corn snack as Masala Munch) smell like chili powder. oh, wow, that's an interesting flavour. It's like a mix of chili powder, garlic powder and something green. If these were a dish I could picture some sort of green/black leaves in there, but I don't know what those green/black leaves are. There's a bit of a bite, but not quite as aggressive as Masala Munch. 

Well, that's it for this month.

Stay hydrated,

Marc

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lean On Me

I first saw The Flatliners on May 9, 2003. They were opening for Bigwig/The Planet Smashers on the grind tour and kicked ass. Their sound has changed since that date but it hasn't stopped them from becoming one of my favourite bands both recorded and live. Because of my affinity for The Flatliners I was drawn to The Warehouse (Calgary) on September 26, 2007. Having never heard the other bands that were to be playing that night I had very few preconceived notions (I did very little, super lazy, research), I was just there to see The Flatliners and hoped the other bands didn't suck. To my absolute surprise and amazement, the opening? band (might have been 2nd of 4, I can't remember for sure [it really doesn't matter]) The Peacocks absolutely slayed. This 3 piece punkabilly band from Winterthur, Switzerland owned the stage. There was no fancy lighting, costumes or pyrotechnics..just three guys in jeans and black shirts rocking out. When they played there was pure uncut en

2, 4, 5 Trioxin

I recently went on a road trip with my wife (Teresa) and daughter. Covered thousands of km's..Saskatoon -> Fort McMurray -> Calgary -> Home. Throughout this trip we stopped in at 4 record stores, 1 British food import store (to grab some of them uk chips, one of the many flavours was mentioned in The Letter F ) and stayed with friends/family in each city. This trip also resulted in at least 2 gifts that become tales in this here blog in the paragraphs below. The first record store that we ventured into on this trip was the Vinyl Diner in Saskatoon. Whenever Teresa and I go to record stores she usually leaves me to my business and finds a store nearby to browse or just hangs out at the front while I get into the zone. This time however turned out to be different. A few days after we arrived home from Calgary, I found out that with this particular visit to the Vinyl Diner Teresa was doing her own browsing, with the stealthiness of a ninja, that went completely unnoticed b

I Don't Want to Go Down to the Basement, Either

I like pop punk. Ramonescore..Lookout, Recess, Red Scare, It's Alive records; you know, that ilk. Majority of what I'm exposed to (or expose myself to) is either American or based out of GTA/Ottawa areas. For some reason, it's rare for me to get a record and find out that the band is from the prairies or western Canada. This is not to say that there aren't killer pop punk bands in these regions, it just takes more digging to find them. (I know, you're angry and yelling Chixdiggit! at the screen right now. There's always exceptions). One of these amazing Canadian pop punk bands is based out of Vancouver and go by the name of The Hextalls. I had heard their name before but never really gave them a listen until last January (2014) when I got their LP "Rock You to Sleep". Shit is fantastic. Catchy, cheeky without turning themselves into a joke; straight forward pop punk. With heavy nods to the bruddas, I would be more than surprised if at least a few of th