Skip to main content

Don't do something, just sit there

As I stepped out into the bright hallway from the darkness of the chip cellar I had only two things on my mind: Skinny Genes and salt and vinegar chips (Covered Bridge Sea Salt & Vinegar Old Fashioned Kettle Cooked [Dark Russet] Potato Chips [to be exact]).

It was only a week ago when I opened my most recent (at this point it seems like quarterly if not bi-monthly) package from It's Alive Records. It contained two 7"s: B-Sides 4 Way Split [a cleverly themed/titled lil' guy from Rad Girlfriend Records] and IAR's most recent release, Ugh [I can't currently find a stream of it] from Skinny Genes. I enjoy being relatively blind when listening to new music so the only thing that I knew about Skinny Genes was that they released an EP on IAR. When I put on UGH I was treated to some absolutely top notch pop punk..some of best songs that I've heard thus far in 2015. I had no choice but to keep flipping the record when the needle returned to it's resting place (this has stayed true for the past week [on my ipod as well]). About halfway through my second listen of UGH I realized that this voice was oddly familiar..this lead me to open up the liner notes and see who is in the band: "All songs, singing and instruments by Azeem Sajid", or if you're acquainted with The Steinways/Houseboat, Ace. Fuck me, Skinny Genes is the genius of one man [who happens to have been "that other guy..girl" in some fantastic bands]. Bright lively music, buttery smooth vocal delivery (complete with self harmonizing) and lyrics that cover internet message board culture, failed relationships and (ironically) being lazy [all with a nice dose of self-deprecation]. With the longest track at a whopping 1:54 this sub-6min EP delivered and left me wanting more..like his previous EP MEH. Can't hardly wait for his future *fingers crossed* LP?

Due to the fact that Salt and Vinegar chips are a pretty standard flavour across the board it's hard for one company to separate itself from the pack. Covered Bridge however does not have that issue. Ever since my first time tasting Covered Bridge Sea Salt & Vinegar chips I have been hooked. These somewhat thin kettle cooked beauties show a fair amount of skin on almost every chip. Billed as "DARK RUSSET POTATO CHIPS" (I don't know what that really means, as far as I can tell there's no such thing as a dark russet potato so does the "dark" mean that they cook them slightly longer than average kettle cooked potato chips or is it because the actual potato slices are slightly thinner so they cook faster [these chips do have a higher percentage of the brown {on the edge of being over cooked} chips aka the best chips]). That being said, visually they're slightly darker than your standard lays/old dutch salty semicircles (they have an overall less processed look [and taste] to them). When chip meets tongue you're initially met with a sugary sweet handshake followed by (what I consider) a malt vinegar tang. The potato flavour is faint and blends perfectly with the sweet malted vinegar. Majority of the chips within Covered Bridge's salty bags treat you to the mildly bitter, and completely welcome, taste of potato skin. These chips taste like the dark homemade fries that you get from a food truck or hole in the wall diner. If you're at all a fan of Salt and Vinegar chips these are a must, they're an absolutely fantastic treat.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

ps. UGH was engineered by Luke McNeill, mastered by Mass Giorgini and mixed by Philip Zumbrun. If you're into pop punk I don't think I need to explain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'