Skip to main content

Don't do something, just sit there

As I stepped out into the bright hallway from the darkness of the chip cellar I had only two things on my mind: Skinny Genes and salt and vinegar chips (Covered Bridge Sea Salt & Vinegar Old Fashioned Kettle Cooked [Dark Russet] Potato Chips [to be exact]).

It was only a week ago when I opened my most recent (at this point it seems like quarterly if not bi-monthly) package from It's Alive Records. It contained two 7"s: B-Sides 4 Way Split [a cleverly themed/titled lil' guy from Rad Girlfriend Records] and IAR's most recent release, Ugh [I can't currently find a stream of it] from Skinny Genes. I enjoy being relatively blind when listening to new music so the only thing that I knew about Skinny Genes was that they released an EP on IAR. When I put on UGH I was treated to some absolutely top notch pop punk..some of best songs that I've heard thus far in 2015. I had no choice but to keep flipping the record when the needle returned to it's resting place (this has stayed true for the past week [on my ipod as well]). About halfway through my second listen of UGH I realized that this voice was oddly familiar..this lead me to open up the liner notes and see who is in the band: "All songs, singing and instruments by Azeem Sajid", or if you're acquainted with The Steinways/Houseboat, Ace. Fuck me, Skinny Genes is the genius of one man [who happens to have been "that other guy..girl" in some fantastic bands]. Bright lively music, buttery smooth vocal delivery (complete with self harmonizing) and lyrics that cover internet message board culture, failed relationships and (ironically) being lazy [all with a nice dose of self-deprecation]. With the longest track at a whopping 1:54 this sub-6min EP delivered and left me wanting more..like his previous EP MEH. Can't hardly wait for his future *fingers crossed* LP?

Due to the fact that Salt and Vinegar chips are a pretty standard flavour across the board it's hard for one company to separate itself from the pack. Covered Bridge however does not have that issue. Ever since my first time tasting Covered Bridge Sea Salt & Vinegar chips I have been hooked. These somewhat thin kettle cooked beauties show a fair amount of skin on almost every chip. Billed as "DARK RUSSET POTATO CHIPS" (I don't know what that really means, as far as I can tell there's no such thing as a dark russet potato so does the "dark" mean that they cook them slightly longer than average kettle cooked potato chips or is it because the actual potato slices are slightly thinner so they cook faster [these chips do have a higher percentage of the brown {on the edge of being over cooked} chips aka the best chips]). That being said, visually they're slightly darker than your standard lays/old dutch salty semicircles (they have an overall less processed look [and taste] to them). When chip meets tongue you're initially met with a sugary sweet handshake followed by (what I consider) a malt vinegar tang. The potato flavour is faint and blends perfectly with the sweet malted vinegar. Majority of the chips within Covered Bridge's salty bags treat you to the mildly bitter, and completely welcome, taste of potato skin. These chips taste like the dark homemade fries that you get from a food truck or hole in the wall diner. If you're at all a fan of Salt and Vinegar chips these are a must, they're an absolutely fantastic treat.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

ps. UGH was engineered by Luke McNeill, mastered by Mass Giorgini and mixed by Philip Zumbrun. If you're into pop punk I don't think I need to explain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...