Skip to main content

Dammit

Dude Ranch is one of my all time favourite albums. This may be due to the fact that it was a gateway album for me..or possibly it truly is great (I'm not sure if I have the ability to formulate an unbiased opinion). Blink 182 delivered 45 minutes of pop punk that was catchy as hell with lyrics that drilled themselves straight into your cerebral cortex. Whenever I put the album on, from the first note of Pathetic to the last note of I'm Sorry (I can do without the dog drinking urine 'skit' after I'm sorry) I'm transported to a happy place and can't help myself from nodding my head and singing along. Shit's rad. I celebrate(/ed) Blink's entire proper catalogue Cheshire Cat through their 2003 S/T (Buddha and They Came to Conquer.. yes, that live album no [man overboard was decent]). When I heard that they broke up after their 2003 album I thought it was a great choice. The self-titled showed some interesting progression (shit, they did a song with Robert Smith) and being that they were aging and their potty humor schtick had run it's course it gave them a chance to go out (somewhat) on top.

All was good for a handful of years..then (I can only assume) that pesky little fella nostalgia reared his ugly head (or maybe it was $$). " 'You used to make great music' 'You can do it again! Relive your past success!' ". Nostalgia can lead people to make terrible decisions, in Mark, Tom and Travis' case; Neighbourhoods. I tried to keep an open mind, the first single wasn't THAT terrible. My general litmus test for any album is 'can I listen to it in one sitting without wanting to skip songs'. Simply put, Neighbourhoods did not pass. It wasn't offensively bad, it was just meh. Those three lads should have realized that nature had ran it's course and reviving a corpse just leads to zombies. The Blink 182 on Neighbourhoods sounded as if they were ripping off a Blink 182 influenced band (you know, the ones that wear neon clothes and look/act like pedophiles); a shitty knockoff. (That being said, I'm keeping an open mind to the 'new' Blink 182 of Mark, Travis and Matt [maybe he'll be able to provide much needed energy and cut down on robotic wankery that was all to present on Neighbourhoods]). I'm positive I wasn't the only person out there that felt this way (I can't comprehend the seemingly positive reviews that this stinker recieved when it was released); let down due to expectations based on a similar product that was created (and disappeared) many moons ago.


The 2008 re-introduction, and continued production, of Old Dutch's Mexican Chili Chips was and still is bullshit! Of all the discontinued chip flavours Old Dutch could have chosen to bring back, they picked those chili powder tasting middlers. Yeah, everyone remembers crunching on them back in the day..then all of a sudden *gasp* they were gone. Half a dozen years later people were all, "Remember mexican chili chips. I remember eating them when I was younger, that must mean that they were really good". No, no they weren't REALLY good. They're barely an okay flavour that was the benefactor of nostalgia. I get it, bring back the 'retro' flavour and see a boost in sales. Well, it's been 7 years and these turds are still around, time to cut them loose and bring back something that is actually interesting, like anything in the Rave line; Buffalo Wing, Extra Salt and Vinegar. Even better, step your game up and tinker with other companies discontinued flavours..spicy ketchup, jalapeno dill. Caesar (the tasty drink) flavoured chips dammit!! Time to take Mexican Chili out to the desert and return solo Mr. Dutch (if that is your real name!).

Stay hydrated,
Marc 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'