Skip to main content

1866 (Porch and Portal)

CHEETOS MIX-UPS FLAMIN' HOT & CHEEZY MIX. Now that that's out of the way, tonight I consumed said salty snack. What exactly is this mix you ask? Flamin' Hot (dense Cheetos), Cheddar Jalapeno (somewhat poofy circles), Cheddar and Double Cheddar (poofy Cheetos). When I opened the bag all that I saw was the poofy cheddar and double cheddar snacks, due to the more dense cheddar jalap and flamin' hots the bag was somewhat segregated which was odd but not unheard of. To fully experience this bag I broke out a bowl and dumped em in so that I'd be able to get a more even mix of the bags goodness. Upon close inspection I'd say that the ratio is a little off, I think the flamin' hots got shorted a little in the bag but it wasn't overly severe. Once I stepped into the snack I noticed that even the poofy double/cheddar snacks had residual hot that rubbed off from the other flavours in the bag, this was welcomed. It gave the bag a nice range of heat on top of the mixed density throughout. For those unfamiliar with flamin' hot cheetos, they are very similar if not very slightly hotter than your standard jalapeno seasoning found on various brands of chips. The cheddar jalapeno circles taste like your standard jalapeno cheddar seasoning, a bit of a bite but nowhere near brutal. The cheddar and double cheddar cheetos are the same flavour as far as I'm concerned, the only difference is stick length vs nub. If any of my flavour points of reference are foreign to you, step up your salty snack game. The singular snacks that make up this mix are fairly standard. Pretty good mix, pick em up if they still exist and you see them, I do however recommend turning the bag upside down and shaking it prior to opening unless you plan on bowling it to obtain proper mixture. [These have been sitting in the salty cellar for quite some time. The best before date on the bag lists Aug 11 (with no year)..there is however a contest on the back that closes on August 10, 2015, so..yeah. To my amazement these are not stale at all. I'm not sure if that is impressive or frightening for a corn based porous snack to remain fresh for that long. Thumbs up?]

To me Crusades is a mixed bag of a band. It's not that their sound isn't cohesive but they wear a lot of influences on their vinyl. There's sort of North American hardcore/post-hardcore mixed with pop/punk and NWOBHM thrown in there, then a dash of folk among whatever else I'm missing. As with previous albums, Crusades most recent This is a Sickness and Sickness will End is a concept album about death and despair (in general) with each of the songs being influenced by a poet from the date the song is titled (liner notes list the poets). Everything about Crusades is demanding from the music to the lyrics, which are poetry. You are able to enjoy This is a Sickness and Sickness will End on so many layers, whether you choose the surface or dig right in it's rewarding. Everyone contributes vocals with band members being recognizable from various bands within the Ottawa metal/punk scene. Crusades for me is a bit of a grower of a band but I like what they're doing.

Stay hydrated,
MARC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth