Skip to main content

Smoking Kills

Todays live salty snack...London Flavours Premium British Crisps: Oak Smoked Chilli. They smell like bar-b-que, you know the bbq flavours before mesquite came to be all up in the system. They look like a mid weight chip that's somewhere between kettle cooked and baked. Upon consumption, I found a chip with a good dense crunch and the odd air pocket of flakeyness. Seasoning is generous, very salty chips. Flavour has a mild mesquite sweetness with some very present bbq smokey flavour. There is a decent chilli afterkick, but lightweight enough that you don't break a sweat. These chips are a new flavour without necessarily being foreign. The oak becomes more and more present the further that I get into the bag. Bangin' bag of crisps.

Keeping it on that UK tip. Until recently I had only heard OF the Brighton band Gnarwolves and not actually heard them. Something about the name just didn't click with me. Well, recently something triggered me to check out their bandcamp page (I can't remember what it was..Razorcake review?), and gee golly am I glad that I did. Gnarwolves are a punk band. Their sound is a mash of various sub-genres. I just started listening to them last week and didn't get around to ordering any records until this week..so I'll get me some physical shortly. That said, my first impressions of them are somewhere between a midwestern pop punk and skatepunk base with a healthy dose of early to mid 2000s emo and touches of post punk and tech/speed punk (short hand description would be the grandchild of The Flatliners with Taking Back Sunday, Red City Radio and...I dunno, Caves?..with Wilhelm Scream being their great uncle). Plenty of galloping drums and harmonies. Yes (if you're not from Brighton or the surrounding area) they have discernible accents. Lyrics are of the non-joke variety without being humorless and delivered with emotion that doesn't come off as a put on. I'm thoroughly enjoying their S/T and Chronicles of Gnarnia, gonna spend some time with those two before venturing onto their album that came out last month, Outsiders. I came late to the party, why change it now.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...