Skip to main content

Take A Seat (even)

Great things come out of Canada..and sometimes not so great things come out of the north.

FINALLY. Kettle Brandon Potato Chips..Classic Caesar. "great taste...naturally"..we'll see Kettle Brand, you've burnt me in the past! Are they fragrant? Not really, they smell like kettle cooked greasy potatoes. Are they tasty..it depends if you like caesars? My initial impression is clamato juice with celery salt. There is the odd hint of lime..in addition to the odd hint of worcestershire sauce. The heat of these chips is similar to barbeque..bbq..bar-b-q, however you want to spell it with more of an afterburn. To me it tastes almost like a black pepper based heat..maybe a mild chili pepper kick. The grease level is medium rare, they're Kettle Brand so there's going to be some excessive grease but not bad. These are the best K.B. flavour that I've had in a minute, good on ya. Great taste, yeah dude. (for those who don't live in places that readily carry these, mine came from well.ca ($3.98/bag) via my awesome wife [if you spend more than $35 the shipping is free {pretty good deal}]).

Peanuts and Corn is pretty low key these days. The releases are rare. Thankfully for the Canadian..North American hip hop scene, they're not completely inactive. This past March P&C released the new Yy (Big Y little y [/yuh-eye/ {that might be how to phonetically spell it, I'm tryin' here}]) An Uneven Eleven. Yy, once again, comes with his oddly choppy yet smooth (uniquely his) delivery. mcenroe brings the poppy laid back production that he's been leaning towards for the past few years. Snare, high hat, bass, some synth/keys and other producery stuff (I don't really know what instrument makes what sound with any sort of certainty once it gets outside of the guitars/drums spectrum). Roddy Bailey makes the odd uncredited appearance on the album. On the bandcamp page Yy provides liner notes for each song, he does a better job at providing context to the songs than I ever could, after you listen to the album give 'em a read (or while you listen to the album, who am I to dictate how you ingest media). Guests, yes there are some (it's a P&C album, what did you expect? The prairie Wu Tang) to add flavour without taking over the album; Vibe Richards, Bazooka Joe (John Smith), mcenroe and Pip Skid, mcenroe and Rob Crooks, Gumshoe Strut and last but not least Birdapres. Independent Canadian fire made for the love of the music (with the talent to make it accessible) and it shines through with each listen.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'