Skip to main content

Money Makes Us Happy

Hey Ricky, thanks for the Lay's "Do Us a Flavor: The Pitch" Kettle Cooked Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese chips. I love it when I'm gifted chips or have a chip exchange and recently Ricky and V brought me back a couple American Lay's DUaF chips. They're Lay's kettle cooked; that means that the chips are generally all the same hue of yellowish/off-white (ie, lack of browned chips) with an 'average thickness' providing a good midweight crunch..the exact chips that Joe Chip-consumer pictures when they're told kettle cooked..no surprises here. Now you're asking, how groundbreaking is this flavour..as Lay's are known for their groundbreaking awesome flavours that came out of their do us a contests...er..I mean..yeah. Everything Bagel w Cream Cheese are a pretty passive flavour, I would place them as a first cousin to sour cream and onion. There are, however, poppy seeds sprinkled on the chips which may not seem like a big deal but when was the last time you had more than a powder on chips for flavour, good on ya. There's a somewhat lack in distinct flavour which results in an overpowering of salt/garlic salt/(I'd say faux..almost white cheddar..err, cream) cheese seasoning (which is all pretty salty). They'd be a decent dipper (which I don't believe people look to kettle cooked chips enough for that) but (if you're Canadian) are they worth a trip to the states..I dunno, I dig the poppy seeds, haha. For those who missed out, don't fret, I have a solution, procure: 1 bag of sour cream and onion, 1 bag of cheddar and sour cream (or Old Dutch Onion n Garlic..do they still make those?) and a scoop of poppy seeds from your local bulk barn type store, mix up in a bowl and..voila, I doubt it'd be that far off this bag (outside of dip-ability, I don't really think the kettle cookedness will make much of a difference). Hey Lay's..you know what might have separated these from the pack a little bit more and lent itself to the bagel consistency? If they were UK style thick cut 'crisps' rather than straight up North American kettle cooked..just sayin' (but what do I know, I'm not a professional chip slanger).

Bagel's are a stereotypical NYC food, right? Well, a couple years ago I was listening to the Get Up On This podcast and they had Skyzoo's Music for my Friends as a get up on. The song they played was tight so I figured it'd be worth a purchase..and gee golly that was a great purchase. Skyzoo is a NYC rapper, in that I mean he doesn't put out R&B/pop masquerading as rap (not saying that there's no place for that music, but sometimes [most times] one just needs a rap album). I'm only 2 albums in so far (Friends and his 2016 The Easy Truth w Apollo Brown) and there hasn't been one mediocre track yet. Delivery, fire; lyrics, fire; producer/beat choice, fire. Skyzoo puts out albums, not just singles with filler. Don't sleep on Skyzoo, you'll regret it. Nod your head and..

Stay hydrated,
Marc!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...