Skip to main content

The Devil's Martyr

It's great when people pick up chips for me when they're out and about. A couple weeks ago a friend from work (Tyler) was dipping down to the states and asked if I wanted any chips. To both of our chagrin, the Voodoo Heat (Zapp's) that I had filled him in on where nowhere to be found. He was however still nice enough to bring me back a couple bags of chips, one of them being Lay's Flamin' Hot Dill Pickle Flavored. When I read the bag it seemed familiar but I wasn't 100% positive, I searched the blog but nothing came up..so I looked through my phone notes and what do you know, low and behold Lay's released a bag of chips last year under an almost identical name, "Flamin' Hot Dill Pickle Remix "inspired by hip-hop music" (I'll touch on that bag later). I cracked my new bag of Flamin' Hot Dill Pickle and took a whiff..mostly dill pickle seasoning with a slight oiled potato smell (not much, if any, flamin hot that my nose picked up on). The chips are standard Lay's, mid crunch, fairly sterile and void of 'defects'. When I popped one in my mouth I was initially met by dill pickle almost immediately followed by a hot pepper heat, more aggressive than jalapeno. It's the heat of one of those red peppers that you usually get with pho, I don't know what they are but there's definitely some kick to them. Following suit, these chips have quite the kick, it mostly comes after in the later half of eating each chip and builds the deeper you get into the bag. There's flavour to the heat, but it's towing the line between enjoyable and minor feat of strength chips. They're good, but if you're planning on eating more than 50g in a sitting you'd better be prepared with some sort of dip to cut the heat. I'd say one of the hotter "flamin hot" salty snacks that I've tried. I will finish this post with some pretty good forehead sweats going.

I wrote the above before I read my notes of the "inspired by hip-hop". Now lets see what the remix was like when I had them April 16, 2019. "Looks bangin', shiny magenta bag. Smell like dill pickle for the most part. Taste like, starts off dill pickle, ends with a heat that's a notch above jalap with some sweetness. Standard weight Lay's with medium crunch. Part of Lay's "turn up flavour" contest. Chips and music you say....cool. The heat borderlines chemical but still remains in the 'natural' spectrum. Gets some good forehead sweats going. The flamin' hot for the most part outweighs the dill pickle. I like what they're going for but others have done spicy dill pickle better. Worth a try if you like heat. Almost missed this tag at the bottom of the bag, "inspired by hip-hop music"..um, sure Lay's..sure."

There you have it, same chips, slightly different bag and labeling. I didn't notice the sweetness as much tonight but I can sort of see where I was coming from last year.

Now, inspired by hop-hop music, I would vehemently disagree. What a heat this aggressive you have to go into the heavier side of metal, and tonight the first band that came to mind was Toronto's Sacrifice. The first time that I had heard of Sacrifice was by way of Propagandhi in the late aughts when they were gearing up for a split album. I didn't pick up said album and actually didn't check out Sacrifice either, but due to the Prop connection Sacrifice was burned into the back of my mind. Fast forward almost a decade, last spring I was in Into the Music and I stumbled across a used copy of Sacrifice's The One's I Condemn, it's now happily in my record collection. The One's is a banger. Thrashy metal, that (without comparing side by side) is a bit slower and slightly heavier than Slayer (when I say a bit slower, I mean a wee bit..they could very well be on par). Riffidge and shredidge galore. The vocals are fairly clear, with a bit of shriek adjacent throaty gravel. The lyrics fit in with the dark imagery present on the jacket of the record..and their name. All in all, Sacrifice rips and if you have even a passing interest in thrash you'll dig.

Stay hydrated,
Marc  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'