Skip to main content

Off Wit His Head

I had thought that I found Big Pun through the How We Roll music video, but when I pulled it up it didn't look familiar. I'm almost certain that it was through one of his music videos playing on Much Music (in hindsight, I had heard his songs, or snippets thereof, prior but never knew who the artist was). I'm not sure why any of that matters. The first and only Pun CD that I had in my collection (up until a few weeks ago) was Endangered Species.Why I stopped at Endangered Species and didn't back track into his previous 2 albums is beyond me, it was a banger of an album (a compilation album but a banger nonetheless). So like I eluded to, about a month ago I was revisiting Pun's first posthumous and fell down a brief wiki hole looking into reviews of his other albums, fast forward to last week when Yeeeeah Baby arrived in the mail and I threw it in the CD player. Wow that album was familiar, I had either procured it in the days of napster/limewire and bumped it, or maybe Grant had a copy of it in his Jeep back in the day, either way, the album smokes. There's R&B elements in the album, but it doesn't weigh it down like some of the late 90's/early 2000's did. The flourishes of spanish (spanglish?) that Pun threw into his rhymes accented his non-stop spitting perfectly. The un-expected nostalgia of Yeeeah Baby is the cherry on top of the album itself. Now it's time to go back to his debut and realize that it's just as familiar and lives up to the reviews I've read.   

I generally don't dip into Arriba very frequently, I'm not super into their chip to flavour ratio (generally too much chip IMO). But my wife picked me up a bag of their Limited Time Flavour Creamy Guacamole tortilla chips. I tossed them in the freezer 45 mins ago so that I'd get a bit of the cold to accent the guac (should have had them in for longer but I didn't realize I was going to review them tonight until 46 mins ago). They smell like corn chips with a hint of guac flavour (that's the best way to describe the scent, guac chips all seem to smell the same). My first impression was, 'dang these are salty' followed by, 'oh yeah, I taste the avacado' and finally, 'oh, there's a bit of a peppery kick to make it guac'ish'. The chips seem almost thinner than I had remembered Arriba having, they're most along the lines of a typical North American mass produced corn chip. The further into the bag that I got the more of the seasoning's creamyness I picked up on, in addition to a pretty strong garlic presence..upon closer inspection, it may have been the garlic bite that I was tasting originally as opposed to a peppery kick. The flavour as described on the bag takes front stage during chewing then makes way for a corn chip and garlic aftertaste. I like my guac with a bit of jalapeno in it...but chips don't typically put that into their flavour...it'd be nice if they did however. But as far as guac chips go, these deliver on their creamy guacamole naming and are one of the best guac flavoured chips that I've tried (the creamy really helps). This bag is best before June 11...hopefully the limited time hasn't expired yet because I want to go get a few more bags of these. Buena mierda.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'