Skip to main content

Back Die Bokke

 So the Salty Bag's international correspondent sent in a whole wack of notes/reviews/what have you. Without further ado:

Various Mayonesa (mayo) flavoured chips were all over Ecuador, Sometimes powdered flavour and sometimes an actual sachet of mayo to throw in the bag (Yupi Rizadas). Neither good nor bad, salty and fatty as expected, I preferred the (Tostitos) Pizzerolas (sabor a pizza). 

I didn't find a lot of chip variety where I was wandering around in Spain but the (Ruffles sabor a Jamon) ham flavour made sense, they were salty.

The UAE had these (Lay's) French Cheese chips. I don't know how you expect to distill all the cheese in France into a chip but these were forgettable (not like French cheese which is amazing) and perhaps an apt metaphor. 

The Sun Chips (not the North American Sun Chips brand) Mix Masala chips from Sri Lanka weren't actually Lankan. I think they were imports. I wanted them to be more spicy. 

The Maldives had a fair amount of chips, the (Kitco kettle cooked) Arabic Spice was fine. The (also Kitco kettle cooked) Flaming Chili was not particularly flaming. I did not purchase more. 

I think the (F. East [Flavours of the East]) Hainanese Chicken Rice chips were from Singapore but I ate them in Kuala Lumpur. Malaysian food in KL, and food there in general, is mind blowing and Singapore isn't bad either and then these chips were a massive letdown of blandness (sorry!). 

Vietnam had a lot of pleasant chip flavours that were medium in seasoning, I wanted the (Swing, viga) teriyaki (Osaka) to be more extreme than it was. 

The Philippines has a lot of snacks like these (Tattoos Pizza, and Spicy Cheese) Corn Tubes, which like Jolibee, I never exactly felt love for. 

The hot pink garlic beef Doritos from Japan were stinky and weird, the packet had to leave the room we were staying in because the artificial garlic meat smell was so strong. This is crazy because almost everything else we ate in Japan was mind blowingly good. 

Various South African chips:

Willards (Crinkle Cut) bunny chow (curry) chips do not do Durban curry justice and have rightly disappeared. I ate a range of Lay's during hard lockdown that were fine (Sweet & Smoky American BBQ flavour, Japanese Teriyaki Chicken flavour). PnP (pick and pay) generally makes substandard chips and these (PnP Brai time) Potjieko flavoured chips were crumbled into more dust than chip and tasted like charred vegetables in a bad way. It's pronounced poy-kee-cose and it's a cast iron cauldron with feet, you slow cook over coals layered with meat and veg in a specific way. I like salt and vinegar so acidic it's near caustic but have warmed to sweeter vinegar notes here like the balsamic Flanagans, they were the best of the bunch (which were MacGilly's Balsamic Vinegar, Spanish Chorizo, and Basil's Cheesy Pesto). Messaris chips are Lay's style but perhaps a cut above in terms of flavour if you et a fresh bag. I wanted the Chili-Chippi version to be super fire, it was not (bag misleading!). Winnaz (Paprika) chips are from Rwanda and are a ringer for a really good bbq chip and made me think about how smoky paprika really is the backbone of BBQ flavour. The Woolies Farmer's chips (South Africa) were so good I had to not buy more because I would eat them until I possibly had a salt issue. The winner is pickled onion which was like dill pickle, S&V, and sour cream and onion in a single chip. I don't usually like meaty chips but the (Farmer's) Braai Lamb Chops chips had notes of mustard and rosemary that changed my mind about this issue. (Farmer's) Chili Chutney were in the vein of sweet chili, weakest of the set (trio) but still good. Pringles have made some inroads here and do some interesting flavours; The Sichuan Style Kung Pao Chicken did not taste like Sichuan food but did have spicy American mall food court Chinese vibes that were moreish, the Italian Style Black Pepper and Parmesan tasted like unercooked Kraft Dinner - chalky and weird (win some, lose some!). I keep going back to PnP for the special editions and finally these Chicken Dust (Salty Bag comment, the bag literally states "Chicken Dust Flavoured") Salt & Peppery Smoky Charred Corner Chicken chips were tasty - lots of black pepper with a fire roasted chicken vibe. Simba chips are the best South African chip, period. They are ridged and always nicely seasoned. Roarrrs with Chakalaka flavour is a bit like vegetable stew and spicy salsa in one. Somehow these chips actually had hints of things like green peppers and green beans and just the right amount of spice. A complex chip flavour well executed.

The Lay's Strong (Chili and Lime ["perfect with Beer"]) were German and I think the concept is chips to pair with beer - crunchier and more flaour than regular Lay's to my recollection. I like the concept of chip pairings and the German taste for crunchy spicy chips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Lean On Me

I first saw The Flatliners on May 9, 2003. They were opening for Bigwig/The Planet Smashers on the grind tour and kicked ass. Their sound has changed since that date but it hasn't stopped them from becoming one of my favourite bands both recorded and live. Because of my affinity for The Flatliners I was drawn to The Warehouse (Calgary) on September 26, 2007. Having never heard the other bands that were to be playing that night I had very few preconceived notions (I did very little, super lazy, research), I was just there to see The Flatliners and hoped the other bands didn't suck. To my absolute surprise and amazement, the opening? band (might have been 2nd of 4, I can't remember for sure [it really doesn't matter]) The Peacocks absolutely slayed. This 3 piece punkabilly band from Winterthur, Switzerland owned the stage. There was no fancy lighting, costumes or pyrotechnics..just three guys in jeans and black shirts rocking out. When they played there was pure uncut en