Skip to main content

Rinse and Repeat / Wishing Well

I kept sleeping on the Bad Operation LP. A while ago I signed up for the notification when a new pressing was available from Bad Time Records. The first notification came in and I guess I waited a bit too long to order, so no dice. Finally a month or so ago the 3rd pressing came up for order so I got me a beautiful cotton candy. That is however not what I'm writing about today, when I got the first notification (yet after I went and saw the 2nd pressing was already sold out) I went through the Bad Time bandcamp to figure out what albums I was going to order with Bad Operation. I only sampled a few songs from each band because I like the surprise of a new band and through that sampling I decided that I'd order Kill Lincoln, The Best of the Worst, and Joystick!'s newest albums. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when my order from Bad Time came in. I was pretty excited to listen to the lot because I only had a vague guess as to what they would sounds like..and let me tell you, I was not disappointed. I got 4 great ska albums that pull from all over the ska umbrella with tons of outside influence, they're familiar but completely new. 

Joystick!'s I Can't Take It Anymore (which is also released through Stomp) is a fantastic album. I'm not quite sure if it's skacore or ska punk...really, it's somewhere between the two. There's a lot of melody, some driving and distorted guitars, strong punk bass lines, horns for the most part used as an accent, and a few hardcore breakdowns. They're a full ska band with 2 trombones, a trumpet and a tenor sax, but depending on the song the brass may just show up for a little bit...or come for the whole party. The opening song Retcon has a full on metalcore breakdown, No Sleep After Brooklyn in a ska instrumental track with a bit of punk attitude. I feel like there's traces of Big D and the Bosstones throughout the album, with a heavy Suicide Machines with horns sound, there's even some Latinx horn lines here an there that when mixed with the core influence bring Voodoo Glow Skulls to mind. They can go from a balls to the wall skacore banger to a slow and bouncy song with ease (sometimes even within the same song) and it's not one bit jarring. The vocals are melodic with a bit of snot, and the lyrics are on the introspective side. The Semicolon piano based interlude on Side B is also great and really helps add even more atmosphere to an already impressive album. My only complaint is that there's no lyric sheet or credits outside of the band credits on the back of the jacket.

Now there's been a bag of Great Value Extreme Creamy Garlic + Dill Extreme Flavoured potato chips (free from artificial flavours & colours) for a month or so. I've been looking forward to this bag but wasn't sure what to pair it with or how Extreme they would be. This isn't necessarily a new flavour, a lot of brands have a creamy dill pickle variant...so with great value switching up the name a bit did they make their own stand out entry to the genre? Well, lets see. They smell very dilly and very vinegary..which made my mouth instantly water. Mid sized couple mm ridges. Mid crunch. The flavour is very present..extreme, I dunno, we'll see once I get through half a bag. There's a lot of dill in the mix, some nice vinegar tang, slight sweetness. I'm not picking up a lot on the garlic because the aforementioned flavours are quite aggressive. These are slightly creamy, however nowhere near as creamy as other CDP chips that I've had before. These are quite good. I'm a fan on vinegar based flavours and these bring the vinegar in spades without overpowering the dill. Maybe the slight sweetness is the garlic? I dunno, it doesn't really matter anyway because these are a hit. Now, you're probably asking how do the match up to the President's Choice Loads of Creamy Dill Pickle Flavour chips, well let me see because I also have a bag of those beside me. Give me a second while I crack, open, a..PC's version has a slightly sweeter vinegar flavour. The chips are more dense than the GV version which provides far more of a crunch with ridges of about the same size. The PC also are slightly creamier. Both great levels of vinegar with the GV's vinegar being slightly hotter than the PC. Not a single dud in either of the bags beside me. They both bring their own flavour to the creamy dill pickle genre and I don't think you can go wrong picking either bag.

What about The Best of the Worst's Better Medicine is a banger. Three contributing vocals throughout the album. Liz with a generally smooth melodic delivery that is discernible even in the harmonies with the other vocalists. (I'm guessing) Jason has a delivery that goes from yelled with melody (if that makes sense) to something closer to screaming, to a metal growl. I'm guessing that Joe (drummer) generally joins in for the harms, I don't think I noticed another lead voice. Best of the Worst does a fantastic job at jumping back and fourth from bouncy ska to brutal hardcore with horns. They beautifully blend skacore with metalcore and a sprinkling of crust throughout the album. The lyrics seem to be more from an observers point of view (similar to Joystick!, no lyric sheet and not much for credits [just on the back of the jacket], they come from more from a social commentary perspective rather than introspection. Keyboard, trombone, sax, yessir, the brass is very present throughout the album and often comes off as the lead to me. The songs are very much manic jumping from skankable to picking up change and spin kicking, and back to skanking but it's structured so well that the transitions don't feel harsh. The songs are relatively consistent in tone throughout the album where they don't blend into one another, however they don't deviate too far off path from their skacore sound, and this is very much THEIR skacore sound. I'd love to see this band live just to witness the mania within their pit.

Bad Time Records is putting out some fantastic ska that is pushing boundaries while respecting the genre.

Stay hydrated,

Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Lean On Me

I first saw The Flatliners on May 9, 2003. They were opening for Bigwig/The Planet Smashers on the grind tour and kicked ass. Their sound has changed since that date but it hasn't stopped them from becoming one of my favourite bands both recorded and live. Because of my affinity for The Flatliners I was drawn to The Warehouse (Calgary) on September 26, 2007. Having never heard the other bands that were to be playing that night I had very few preconceived notions (I did very little, super lazy, research), I was just there to see The Flatliners and hoped the other bands didn't suck. To my absolute surprise and amazement, the opening? band (might have been 2nd of 4, I can't remember for sure [it really doesn't matter]) The Peacocks absolutely slayed. This 3 piece punkabilly band from Winterthur, Switzerland owned the stage. There was no fancy lighting, costumes or pyrotechnics..just three guys in jeans and black shirts rocking out. When they played there was pure uncut en