Skip to main content

Time to Buy a Futon

 Of the 3 brands that put out spicy dill pickle chips last year, Miss Vickies was the tops (IMO). So when I saw that they released a Sweet & Spicy Ketchup a few weeks ago I was intrigued to say the least. Can they better hard bite and take the tops of the throwbacks (maybe unknown throwbacks to the brands putting them out now?..but to me co-op gold will always be the spicy dill pickle progenitors with Archer Farms being the patient 0 of spicy ketchup). When I cracked this bag of MV Sweet & Spicy Ketchup I was met with a nice vinegary smelling ketchup. Good crunch, mid to mid high. There's a lot of tomato up in these maf's with some nice vinegar tang and a good hot pepper kick bringing up the rear. The heat is flavourful, but not aggressive or overwhelming and dances with the vinegar tang in your mouth (did not induce forehead sweats). Tomato sweetness, vinegar tartness and hot pepper heat, bangin'. I'd have to do a side by side with Hard Bite's Spicy Ketchup (which I have quite enjoyed)..but I think Miss Vickies may take the crown on these ones as well.

When SNFU's Better Than a Stick in the Eye came out I was 2. I recently got a copy of the Chase The Glory Records repress through Wasted Wax Records. SNFU's a band that I've always been intrigued by and I've listened to them on comps, but up until I got this copy of Better Than a Stick I haven't owned any of their albums. Mr. Chi Pig's delivery has always sounded to me like a melodic speak sing, interspersed with some more straight forward singing. On Better Than a Stick SNFU doesn't play 100% balls to the wall HC punk, they have more of a dynamic sound which to me vollies back and fourth between hardcore and post-hardcore...or maybe they were none of the above and just a weird band that played SNFU.

Stay hydrated,

Marc 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...