Skip to main content

Mosh for Jesus

 A wise man once said, "Pretzels are for drunks and hosers". Well, wise might be an overstatement. Regardless, sometimes it's pretzel time. Tonight is one of those times thanks to some 56g bags of Pretzel Pzazz that I found at the Dollar Tree recently. As I was walking down the "chip aisle" after grabbing some 102g bags of Covered Bridge some brightly coloured little bags caught my eye near the candy section of the "chip aisle". Upon closer inspection, these bright little bags were flavoured pretzels, Spicy Dill Pickle to be exact. As I let my eye wander slightly to the left I noticed that there was also an All Dressed flavour. Well dang, how can I pass up on a 56g deal like these. I'm not generally into pretzels but the flavours were quite promising. Because spicy dill pickle smacks on chips I grabbed 2 bags. I consumed my first bag of Pretzel Pzazz 'seasoned pretzel pieces' Spicy Dill Pickle variety a week or so ago. My initial impression was there was too much pretzel flavour and not enough spicy dill pickle. Lets see what impression I get from these pretzels tonight. Pzazz mixes mini pretzel sticks, mini blown up pretzel sticks (like the airy ones that you sometimes find filled with "cheese" and such [these ones however have no filling, just less dense pretzel sticks {last time I found myself wishing that they injected pockets of seasoning into the blown up pretzel sticks, that'd be tight}]) and typical pretzel shaped mini pretzels. There's quite a kick to the spicy side of these dill pickle pretzels, it's almost like a tobasco kick. The airy pretzel sticks blend better with the seasoning than the mini sticks and 'pretzel' shaped pretzels, however the pretzel shapes often have flavour caking in the little pretzel holes which is fantastic. The dill pickle half of the seasoning is a slightly sweet dill pickle that hits you at the same time as the heat. Not overly vinegary. Cruncy, salty and bready with a kick. 

I have never seen Dillinger Four live, up until a couple years ago I didn't even own any of their albums. They've been on my radar since..I don't know, somewhere between Situationist Comedy and Civil War, but for some reason I let them remain in the influenced my favourite bands category as opposed to the part of my collection category. Either way, D4 bangs. If you're unfamiliar with them, they laid the road for the midwest pop punk sound. When I say midwest pop punk I'm not referring to the warped tour vein of pop punk. Melodic throaty vocals, gruff harmonies, abrasive mix of hardcore and pop punk. Angry, sarcastic, witty, intelligent..depth for days. Oh, and their live shows are notorious for being drunken shit shows. All hail the godfathers.

The All Dressed seasoned pretzel pieces from Pretzel Pzazz smell very BBQ heavy. They taste a bit smoky, some onion..when I search my mouth I can find a lil hit of vinegar. There's a kick in there too, it's not quite spicy, but just a little tingle tangle on the tip of my tongue. The seasoning tastes slightly unique, but it can't quite compete with the breaddyness of the pretzels. For me these would benefit from a slightly heavier seasoning coverage. It's the same mix of mini sticks, mini airy sticks and mini pretzel shapes as the other bag. Once I got to the bottom of the bag I started to get a bit more seasoning residue when grabbing some pretzels and was picking up on some sugary sweetness. There was quite a lot of granular sugar at the bottom of the bag. Interesting take on all dressed, I think it'd be great to try on a potato chip.

Stay hydrated,

Marc



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

Lean On Me

I first saw The Flatliners on May 9, 2003. They were opening for Bigwig/The Planet Smashers on the grind tour and kicked ass. Their sound has changed since that date but it hasn't stopped them from becoming one of my favourite bands both recorded and live. Because of my affinity for The Flatliners I was drawn to The Warehouse (Calgary) on September 26, 2007. Having never heard the other bands that were to be playing that night I had very few preconceived notions (I did very little, super lazy, research), I was just there to see The Flatliners and hoped the other bands didn't suck. To my absolute surprise and amazement, the opening? band (might have been 2nd of 4, I can't remember for sure [it really doesn't matter]) The Peacocks absolutely slayed. This 3 piece punkabilly band from Winterthur, Switzerland owned the stage. There was no fancy lighting, costumes or pyrotechnics..just three guys in jeans and black shirts rocking out. When they played there was pure uncut en

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl