Skip to main content

Fix Up, Look Sharp

 I came home one day to find a bag of Nosh & Co Buffalo Wings & Blue Cheese flavoured potato chips on my countertop. F'in eh. I've been thinking about them for a while, but didn't crack the bag because I didn't want to go off phone notes for the review. So it's finally time. They smell like buffalo sauce. The ridged mid weight chips have a nice crunch. The first chip I had I felt the seasoning was pretty weak so I was sort of disappointed. But as the saying goes, it gets better. The first one appears to have just been a dud while the remainder have relatively generous seasoning. The flavour is your standard buffalo wing and blue cheese; a bit of buffalo hot sauce bite, slight sweetness and a relatively good dose of blue cheese (like 66% hot sauce, 33% blue cheese [+/- 10%]). These chips are quite fine, and at a 130g bag they're looking out for your health, hah.

I'm one chapter away from finishing Inner City Pressure: The Story of Grime by Dan Hancox. I predominantly read non-fiction and really enjoy music/genre history and I must say, this book is top notch. It's an interesting read in that it's telling the history of UK grime, but a lot of the focus is on the political and racial climate that surrounded the creation and sustaining of the genre. It followed the ebbs and flows and provides some real insight into the significant factors which lead to the near death and then resurgence of the genre. I was really drawn to the DIY and community ethos present in the genre. As someone from Canada it's relatively difficult to keep up with grime and I was unaware of a lot of the politics associated with it. Great read, great genre.

Stay hydrated,

Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...