Skip to main content

Sink or Swim

April 1, 2001, The day that I attended my first punk rock show.

I found out in the spring of 2001 that Gob, one of Canada's biggest punk bands at the time, was actually coming through Brandon. Everyone that I associated with was going to this show, it was going to be huge. Not only was this the best way to cap off spring break but it was the day after my 15th birthday. Happy birthday to me. When I picked up my ticket there were 2 other bands listed that I had never heard of and didn't really care to look into; Big Wig and Bowling for Soup. Excitement was growing leading up to the show, I could hardly wait to hear Soda. Late afternoon on April 1st I met up with a group of friends then headed to the Victoria Inn ready for my introduction to the rest of my life. The opening bands were good, I was in the pit, shit was getting wild but honestly I wasn't paying much attention to the music, I was just waiting for the headliner. Finally Gob took the stage. My hair was blown back, they were everything I wanted. The pit was rowdy, the barricades in front of the stage were breaking due to the crowd. My buddy Joel got a bloody nose halfway through the set, I was in the bathroom making sure he was okay and all of a sudden, *doot da doo doo, doot da doo de* the opening notes to Soda. Beeline to the pit, I had been anticipating seeing this song live for as long as I had known it was a possibility. A few seconds later Joel was right beside me, bleeding nose and all. The night ended in a sweaty stinky mess, as I later found out all good punk shows do. Life, changed.

A few months later I was at the lake helping my buddy Mike unload something from his dads trailer. There was this amazing music playing from the truck. Me, "Who is this". Mike, "Bigwig". (mind blown) Shit, the band that opened for Gob that I didn't pay much attention to. I couldn't believe I slept on them for so long, I needed to hear more. I downloaded everything I could find and fell in love. For the next 6 years I went to every Bigwig show possible (within 2 hours wherever I was living). [I say next 6 years because Bigwig hasn't toured western Canada since the Reclamation tour, I dream of the day that they venture westward through the Canadian prairies again].

This past spring a fellow chip enthusiast, Ricky, told me that Target has some pretty interesting/different chip flavours that I should check out. For some reason it had never occurred to me that Target might have more than the standard old dutch/lays/doritos/etc. in their chip aisle. Even after Ricky tipping me off it never really stuck in my head to peruse the Target chip aisle. Luckily, I was in Target with my wife one evening and we ran into Ricky and Vanessa. Ricky asked me if I had checked out the chips yet, I hadn't but that was the reminder that I needed. I went straight to the chip aisle and *shaaaaaaaa* [the sound of a ray of light cartoonishly breaking through the clouds] my world and the world of Archer Farms chips now co-existed. They have a handful of interesting flavours however the highlights to me are Spicy Ketchup and Salt Pepper & Vinegar.

Salt Pepper & Vinegar - Your standard kettle cooked Salt and Vinegar chips with a dash of black pepper. It doesn't sound like much of a difference from your standard S&V however the little kick that the pepper gives the chips is glorious. I haven't been able to find them lately but if you're at Target take a look around and get em, I highly recommend.

Spicy Ketchup - One of my top finds of 2014. These chips are also kettle cooked. They taste like heaven. One glorious day Ms. Ketchup was out on the town for some drinks with friends. All of a sudden Mr. Jalapeno Chip swaggers up to the group and buys Ketchup a drink. They hit it off! Long story short, they spawned the most amazing Spicy Ketchup chips. Upon first taste it's all kettle cooked ketchup, then all of a sudden BAM! a little jalapino kick to round it out, with each and every chip.

It's easy to let something great slip through your fingers. If you're lucky, you'll have friends that will let you know what you're missing, be it knowingly or unknowingly. Target announced this week that they are closing all of their Canadian stores. I strongly encourage you to STOP SLEEPING and go get you some Archer Farms chips before they're gone, or at least far more difficult to get. If you're not in Canada...well I don't know, cross your fingers and hope that your local target has Spicy Ketchup, Salt Pepper & Vinegar or something crazy that I haven't had the chance to try..yet.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

  1. I agree on the Salt Pepper and Vinegar ones, they are delicious but they are always sold out. (It's Ricky by the way)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth