Skip to main content

Power Dynamics

I'd like to say I'm a music and chip connoisseur..aficionado..halfwit, but that would insinuate some sort of high level of competence; a developed palate..possession of some sort of authoritative expertise. At the end of the day I'm an enthusiast through and through. I've never taken the time to study music. I dabble in the theory and history here and there (dabble may even be an overstatement), but at the end of the day I'm happy liking what I like and making my own uneducated observations. There's tons of music that I'm supposed to like (intellectually and historically) but I just don't. I thought about listing some of those bands here (partially as a troll..and partially because I enjoy shitting on some astonishingly boring highly regarded bands) but I've tried to avoid shitting on any artists at the Salty Bag, mostly because when push comes to shove anyone that's released a legitimate album is leaps and bounds more talented than me (that even includes the puppets [I don't hold chip makers in the same regard, even thought I am certain some of them have attained artist status in the art of chip making]). I'm not here to crack open a bag of snacks and consume them at an agonizingly slow pace so that I can mindfully make intelligent commentary on potato/tortilla chips/salty snacks..my goal is to make quick observations based on my regular vacuum like consumption rate and present them in an (hopefully) entertaining fashion to you, my fellow enthusiasts. That's not to say that this blog hasn't changed the way I consume. Being that I'm now approaching chips with a (mildly) critical eye, I have started to notice (some) of the subtle taste variances between brands and the characteristics of 'standard' flavours ie: all dressed. Since the Salty Bag inception, If I'm eating a bag of chips (that I haven't already reviewed on here) I'll make a few quick notes on my smartphone so that I remember defining characteristics..that is if I'm not concurrently writing a blog on said chips.

Was the above paragraph necessary. Not one bit. Now for what you all came here to read.

It was a beautiful fall day (possibly, I really don't know, my notes say it was Sept 15). I returned home from a long day at the chip factory (not true, I do not work at nor am I affiliated with any chip factory) to find a delectable piece of Saskatoon pie sitting on the counter. I thought to myself, "Damn son, that looks tasty!", so I stepped into the pie. It had a bomb ass crust and was mighty fine but I couldn't help but shake the thought of President's Choice Sriracha. This may have been due to the fact that there was a bag of them sitting directly in front of me on the cupboard or it could be due to the fact that PC rarely misses and I had recently acquired a flavour that had yet to meet my taste-buds. I told myself, "Marc, you don't need to snack on anything else"..then realized that my brain doesn't control me, chips do. I snatched the bag off the counter, grabbed the sides of the bag and peeled them apart as I had done so many times before. When I took a whiff of the freshly opened bag I was met with a somewhat familiar smell..were these mislabeled buffalo wing and blue cheese or was my nose deceiving me. I popped one in my mouth and it turns out..

..these ridged beauties were in fact President's Choice Sriracha. These crunchy somewhat sweet morsels bring a medium heat and mild after-burn with just a hint of what tasted like ketchup seasoning. PC didn't quite nail the flavour of that rooster bottle sriracha, but they're pretty good. Kind of a sriracha infused ketchup chip..or vice versa. These chips aren't likely to make it into the regular rotation but they're a nice change of pace for the frisky ketchup lover who wants a fun night out on the town.

They're kind of the Hi Ho Silver, Away! (Their 2014 album Chore is pretty good but often gets missed in the rotation due to my distaste of that band name [kind of sound like a pop-punk version of The Hold Steady]) of chips. The name's a bit of a mislead, but the end product is quite enjoyable. I should really listen to Chore more often, good shit.

Stay Hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'