Skip to main content

Bang Your Head



So…this week I’m catching up on some old phone notes…to be specific, the oldest unblogged notes (from June 7, 2016). Based on memory..well, none of this is based on memory because I don’t remember this bag. That’s not to say that they were bad, I just consume a lot of chips. So, Dinamita Mojo Criollo Rolled Doritos were the chip of the day over a year ago. They have (had? Do they still produce this?) a citrusy taco seasoning on top of some fantastically crunchy corn chip rolls. I really dig the crunch that rolled corn chips provide. On the day of my phone notes I stated that the flavour melds wonderfully with the corn chips. If you can find them (based on my 4 lines of notes) grab a bag. Dinamita in general are a consistently tasty line of Doritos.

I remember being in junior high and reading over the track listing of a mixed cd for a guy in my class, one of the songs on the requested track list was 1-800 Suicide by Gravediggaz. I can’t remember if I even listened to the full song at the time but the group name stuck in my head. Fast forward about 15 years. Gravediggaz 6 Feet Deep album kept popping up and (specifically) on the Get Up On This podcast. Over the years I had heard the groups name in passing but it was Jensen Karp’s reverence for the album that finally tipped me over the edge of listening with intent. 6 Feet Deep truly is as much of a classic album as it’s slightly older step brother Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers). I don't believe it's a coincidence that sonically 6 Feet Deep and 36 Chambers are very similar with the RZA’s/(RZArector's) heavy involvement in both albums (it should be noted however that the Undertaker (Prince Paul) was the primary producer on 6 Feet Deep). With their grimey beats and dark lyrics Gravediggaz helped push horrorcore to a whole new level. Start to end 6 Feet Deep is a banger and if you’ve never taken the time to check it out you're doing yourself a disservice. Now get on it.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dying Every Day

 Yooooo! Old Dutch Pretzel Pieces, All Dressed Flavoured, are bangin'. I wasn't planning on putting up a post tonight, thought maybe I'd just take some notes in my phone, then I popped these in my maw and had to grab the laptop. The pieces are soo piecey, it's like someone had a bad day and took a bat to these pretzels (that would have been 1.5cm+/- diameter. I'm not typically a pretzel man, but these are thick enough that they're not just dried out meh, they have a dense crunch. Mildly bready (but still crunchy) goodness. Now, the flavour is what really knocked my socks off. I'm not sure if they use an agent or if there's moisture from the pretzels but the seasoning is heavily covering these pretzel pieces. It's like when you're at the movie theatre and put butter or margarine on the popcorn, then sprinkle some seasoning on and it's almost like a pasty seasoning in certain parts. There's also some well-toasted pretzel that welcomingly po...

Prairie Nilsson (or the Bazooka Joe 204 interview)

  So back in June of 2022 I conducted an email interview with Joe Compayre. Cut to almost 4 years later, it slipped through the cracks and I didn't get it posted...now 2022 feels like a lifetime away....and for Bazooka Joe 204, 2 albums have come out since (off the top of my head, not sure if I'm missing anything); 2023's banger as part of the group Park Like Setting with This, That and the Third  and May 1, 2026 (this past Friday as of this posting) Bazooka Joe 204 put out his most recent solo effort  333 McPhillips: Halfway to Hell  (my first impression, no matter what moniker Joe Compayre is putting out music under it's always top notch and should be celebrated by all, Halfway to Hell is no exception. Every aspect from lyrics and wordplay, to flows to production [mixed bag of producers this time around] is spot on). Me not posting this interview had nothing to do with the quality, it just didn't happen. With that said I think there's some good stuff in here...

Who Would've Thought

If you're into collecting punk (all sub genres [and some metal in the mix]) records and looking for some stuff that may be off the beaten path  Forbidden Beat Distro on IG may be of interest to you. Jimmy was running it by himself for a minute (and expanding my Cure collection exponentially), then he took a break for a minute before coming back recently (I believe with a partner) with some absolute bangers in stock. A few weeks ago he posted some records that I was quite interested in, one was on my list, the others weren't on my radar. Of the ones that wasn't really on my radar was Rancid's Life Won't Wait Demo's . When I slid the post over to see the back of the album I saw that one side of the LP was the Silencers...now that got my attention. Cut to a handful of days later and my order came in, I threw on the Silencer's side first because the lore of the Silencers really intrigued me (it's Rancid with a few other notable musicians, the one that made ...