Skip to main content

Celebration Rap

What do you get when you put together an 80's drum machine/keyboard, samples of We Are Family by Sister Sledge, Celebration by Kool and the Gang, Holiday by Madonna and a riff on Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard, some very primitive beat boxing and two super white dutch emcees? Two absolutely fun and infectious (and yes corny) rap singles from from 1986 by MC Miker G & DJ Sven, Celebration Rap and Holiday Rap. Whether you listen to the isolated vocals or instrumental there is no doubt that these songs are from the 80's but damn are they exquisite. Years ago I saw the music video for Holiday Rap on Much Music (yes, back when Music was still uttered after Much) and it always stuck with me. A couple weeks ago I was paroozing Recordland in Calgary looking for Solitair's Easy to Slip single (dope song) and I stumbled into the MC Miker G section marker. How is there a full section for a one hit wonder you ask? Because it's not all about the hits man. So I picked up Holiday, Celebration and a 90's dance single from Miker G (no Sven) Show M the Bass (not as good as his work with Sven). And was pleasantly surprised that the duo brought the fire with all their '86 output (including the Bsides Play it Loud and Whimsical Touch). Sometimes one just wants to turn off their brain and dance..this is the music to do that to.

Anyway, recently a fellow chip (from what I understand, specifically tortilla) enthusiast was on a holiday and she very thoughtfully brought me back a bag of Tostitos Salsa Verde (Preparalos A Tu Gusto [which is on the front of the bag but doesn't really have anything to do with the flavour {but on the back of the bag there's a picture of a taco in a bag suggestion with I think a list of the suggested toppings?}]) from Mexico (thanks C.). The picture on the front of the bag consists of a couple round yellowish Tostitos with a sliced jalapeno, a green tomato and some cilantro on the front. I cracked the bag open and they sort of smelled like salted peanuts. Tossed one in my mouth..fairly recognizable corn flavour that's a mid to slightly over-mid weight yellow tortilla (unlike the bleached tortillas we typically get in Canada) chip. The seasoning is light with fairly even distribution throughout the bag. I could taste the green tomato seasoning with a minor kick at the end (some chips had more of a straight up salsa flavouring than others [I didn't taste much of the cilantro pictured on the front of the bag]). The kick built slightly the more that I consumed, but no forehead sweats ensued. The corn flavour of the chips is complimented very well by the seasoning. They're on the lighter side of the spicy spectrum. Quite an enjoyable 70g bag of chips. 

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth