Skip to main content

Best Fear / Worst Fantasy

Lauren Denitzio is fantastic. She writes catchy music..on the pop punk/rock spectrum (not warped tour, opposite side)..with meaningful poetic lyrics delivered with the slightest twang in her beautifully emotional voice. I came late to the Measure (SA) game (didn't really check them out until they were broken up) and shit, I didn't even hear of Worriers until they were leading up to their second album on Don Giovanni, Imaginary Life. That said, since I caught the train I haven't stepped off and was quite excited for the band when I heard that they signed to Side One Dummy (much wider audience) and were slated to release a new album in 2017. Flash forward to a month ago, I got my copy of Survival Pop in the mail. Sonically, it's an uplifting album. Lyrically, like I mentioned earlier, poetically bittersweet with some LGBTQ content. It's a mature album written by adults trying to make the world a better place..and it makes one want to move. On this album Worriers are Lauren, Lou Hanman, Mikey Erg, Nick Psillas and John McLean. Survival Pop (and any Worriers/Denitizo output) is well worth spending some time with.

Wavy Lay's Fried Green Tomato are a flavour that I can't readily liken to any other chip that I've had before. Smell isn't anything new. Threw one in my mouth and..they sort of taste like battered calamari with a hint of chili..err..black pepper afterkick. I've never had fried green tomatoes before as illustrated on the bag. I'm not sure if I'm getting a hint of ranch every now and then or if that's just subliminally placed in my head due to seeing the bag (I should try to blind my tasting? I don't know [how blind would I take it?]). I keep going back and fourth as to whether I taste tomato or not in this salty bag..(the salty wife says that she tastes a lot of tomato but it's not the standard ketchup flavour). They're standard Wavy Lay's weight and crunch, mid-weight and dippable. (This is another American Vote for your fave! Do us a Flavor that Ricky and V brought back from the states for me). They're interesting but I don't think they'd ever end up in the regular rotation if they were readily available in Canada but good on Lay's for making an actual unique flavour.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments