Skip to main content

Over the Water

FRIED PICKLES WITH RANCH FLAVORED LAY'S. As you can tell by that first line, I recently had a friend that went on a trip to the States and was kind enough to bring me back a bag of 'merican Lay's (unsolicited at that [thanks Top]). I got them on Monday and I'm already cracking them and posting..this is a pretty quick turnaround from procurement to this here blog. I'm not going to tell you what I think they're going to be like as I have heard second hand of another's first impression, so without further ado...they smell like dill pickle chips with the faint odor of a gym bag (or something to that affect [that was unexpected]). They taste like creamy dill's first cousin. Dill is up front and centre with some creamy texture to the chip seasoning. There's almost a hint of the most faint blue cheese flavour, I know they're telling me it's ranch on the bag but I get some sort of blue cheeseness (maybe it's just me [I have been eating a lot of blue cheese lately, maybe it's taken over my tastebuds..hah]). There's a slow build of black pepper that becomes more present the further I get into consuming..and it moreso shows it's face in the back end of the flavour. The further into the bag the more I notice the cheeseness and the less I can make out the dill. Man, these are different, they almost morphed during consumption..but I like 'em (I think).

 Earlier this year I came home to a heavy box at my front door with a shipping address from Universal in Toronto. Well, I couldn't remember ordering this so it only meant 1 thing...I had won another contest through Exclaim. Now what exactly had I won? Didn't know, I enter any contest that even remotely interests me. When I got inside and cut open the box I found that I had won The Cardigans discography, you know, the Lovefool band. Like most people that weren't deep into Sweedish 90's pop I knew The Cardigans as a one hit wonder. But the 6 albums that I received told me that maybe there was something more to them. So I proceeded to listen to the albums chronologically starting with Emmerdale (and after listening to all 6 albums it ended up being my favourite). On Emmerdale, The Cardigans show signs of the light pop that they become famous for with Lovefool, but there's more layers to the bands sound than their big hit got accross. Emmerdale is a dreamy lounge pop album with some funky jazz(?) infused into it here and there. The odd song has a bit more of a rock backbone, but it doesn't overshadow the dreamy loungeness of it. There's a flute that pops up to give it an almost 60's flavour on a song or two. The lead singer Nina Persson's voice is smooth with the slightest bit of smoke to it. She has somewhat a tweeish sound (this is not meant to be derogatory one bit). Listening to this album evokes visions of a jazz bar. Great album.

Stay hydrated,
marc

PS. I started looking into the primary songwriter for The Cardigans, multi instrumentalist Peter Svensson, and he's still out there writing and producing (for some big names). Huh, he was a co-writer on Carly Rae Jepsen's I Really Like You. But that's not what spurred this ps..he co(?)wrote and produced 3 songs on Eagle-Eye Cherry's 2012 album Can't Get Enough. I did not expect Eagle-Eye Cherry to still be making music (he just put out a new album in 2018) and he's Swedish..and it appears that his birth name is Eagle-Eye Cherry. I haven't listened to anything from him other than his massive single but I just might have to check him out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'