Skip to main content

Used to Be Alright

I had a small bag of chips earlier this week, they were about a month past their best before date so I was concerned about 2 things.

1 - Small bags go stale a lot quicker than large bags. Don't ask me why, it's just that way.
2 - They were of the Lays Streats of the World variety. Pizza to be exact. (the reason I was concerned about this is because I thought that once again I missed blogging about a limited time chip in the time-frame when people could actually go out and purchase if my words made the chips seem appealing [the day after I had my Pizza Lays I was at work, and a co-worker broke out a bag of Pizza Lays, I guess they recently re-released this flavour for a limited time])

Now what do these Pizza Lays smell like? Large chain pepperoni pizza. The crunch is somewhat lightweight (I guess midweight if you take kettle cooked out of the equation). Now I can hear you screaming, 'but what about the flavour Marc. WHAT ABOUT THE FLAVOUR!! DO THEY TASTE LIKE PEPPERONI PIZZA!!?!' na, they taste like pizza sauce and cheese (for the most part) with a faint hint of basil or something like that (I'm not really strong on my herb game). I wouldn't say that it's a straight mozza flavour however, it's a mix of cheeses. These chips actually taste very similar to 3 cheese Pillsbury Pizza Pops, they're a good cheese based flavour of chips. Like, it's almost eerie how similar they taste to 3 cheese Pizza Pops, it almost takes me back to being a kid.

In 1996 I saw I Mother Earth's video for One More Astronaut on Much Music, it was bangin'.  That was back before I really went to stores and bought stuff so it took me a few years before I went out and purchased the Scenery and Fish CD (which contained One More Astronaut [it was however in the first 5 cd's that I ever purchased]). I'm not sure what drew me to that song or IME, but something did and even though I don't listen to IME that often these days I still enjoy the CD's of theirs that I have. So what did IME sound like on Scenery and Fish, well...Funky bass lines with grungy guitars that are pretty playful here and there, accompanied by, at times, straight forward rock drums that flip on a dime to shred (can drummers shred?) with flourishes of almost Central American style drumming/drums (bongos and conga type). A number of the songs have instrumental breakdowns where the bass player and drummer have at 'er (there are guitar solos, but it's the drums and bass that really shine throughout the album for me). Edwin (who after this album went off on a solo career [looking at their wiki it looks like he re-united with IME in 2016]) sings with in a mid range varying from almost a (grungy) growl to tunefully high sung notes (his solo efforts were pretty big in Canada I believe, not sure if it transferred anywhere else). The songs (both musically and lyrically) are quite dynamic flipping the switch from mellow almost lullabyish to rock to funky or Latino or metal-influenced instrumentals. Scenery and Fish has/had 2 things going against it for me; there's hints of grunge and the songs are typically in the 5-6 minute range (with a few outliers above and below), but somehow it manages to fall into my two thumbs up category (I generally shy away from longer songs as they come off as a bit too masturbatory to me but I don't find myself twiddling my thumbs when listening to Scenery and Fish). There was just the right amount of pop and funk infused into the music to keep it interesting, I dare you to contest that. Now I'm guessing that if you're not Canadian and/or were born later than 1990, you've never heard of any of the above, that's fine. I'm pretty sure that it's good music (not just good out of nostalgia), but that's up to you to judge.

Stay hydrated,
Marc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Piss Angel

I'm not super into metal. I enjoy dabbling into the genre every once in a while, however I am far from being an expert.  A good number of years ago I read a review of this band called Pig Destroyer; they had no bassist and played some heavy fucking metal. I checked them out on myspace because the review, and name of the band, intrigued me. The music was good enough, however being that I lean more towards the punk side of the music spectrum I didn't feel the need to add any of their music to my collection. That being said their name has always stuck with me..and whenever I put those words together it brings to mind blackness. I can only assume that their shows have the gnarliest of mosh pits. In my mind it'd be one of those pits that people go into expecting to get hurt. The first few minutes might be awesome but eventually you end up with a bloody nose and dislocated shoulder. It's more of a dick out than a fun time... This past Friday I had a small bag of Blair'