Skip to main content

Beachfront Property

(If you're looking for a review, go to the very bottom to read my words about co-op Gold Pure kettle cooked Jalapeno White Cheddar)

Well, 2020 was an odd year. I'm up in Canada so it wasn't quite as odd as other countries, so that was tight..I guess. I believe this was the most growth that my CD collection has seen in years..if not ever. I got some groovy records, still managed to get some American chip flavours. Yeah, so below I'm going to provide an update on what I found to get of note in 2020...it's not going to be the definitive list of cool stuff, but it's the list that you're getting. 

Beyond categorization

- I kept the annual(?) interview train going thanks to the kindness of Greg Rekus 

- People that I don't know that were nice in one way or another: Both Bazooka Joe and Rob Crooks separately, Thomas Quinlan of Hand Solo Records, Jon Lewis of The Dopamines, Epic and Saskatoon Folk Rap Records

- Who Wants $2.69 with Martin Urbano on Twitch via Planet Scum (or youtube)...Planet Scum on Twitch in general has some great shows

- Chris Gethard's Taylor Ham, Egg, And Cheese album. 

- I'm a little late on this but, Two Minutes To Late Night

Chip/Snack Division

- Quote from 2018, repeated in 2019 and still holds up in 2020 Co-op Gold PURE chips (these will likely show up every year because they're fantastic..& there is no beating the PURE price point. They're premium chip quality for like $2.70."..2020 Update, I finally tried a bag of Gold PURE kettle cooked popcorn {read about it at the bottom}

- Sour cream with onion soup mix dip with Ruffles All Dressed chips

- Ridgies Spicy Salt and Vinegar

- co-op Gold Pure Honey Dill. These deserve a separate entry from the blanket Gold PURE above. 

- Arriba corn chips in general. I can't believe I somewhat wrote these off years ago. The red bag is pretty nifty, their foray into guac was great, and their sweet chili just may have taken the sweet chili crown.

- homemade salsa verde, specifically the recipe that I noted in the review.

- Cheezies. They don't get enough hype on this blog but dang do I enjoy them.

Music Division (with a dash of podcasts)

Things to look forward to in 2021

- It seems like there's going to be a buttload of new music in general

- PEANUTS & CORN...releases coming out the wazoo including the Brandon podcast leading up to the release of mcenroe's Brandon album...and new Bazooka Joe!!

- New Music from Tom Petta/Bigwig(?) and/or The Cure maybe this'll be the year

- More interview(s?)

- Covered Bridge All Dressed (case is on the way, thought removing the 15 bag option really drove up the price/bag after shipping, dang) 

- New Jersey Is The World (podcast)

 Stay hydrated,

marc

ps...co-op Gold PURE kettle cooked popcorn, the Jalapeno White Cheddar variety. They smell like they should, white cheddar. This popcorn tastes quite salty with hints of butter accompanied by a mild 'white cheddar' seasoning and a nice lil' jalap' afterburn that doesn't show up until there's no more popcorn in your mouth..but doesn't linger for very long. There's the odd hit of sweetness when you bang out a flavour burst piece. The popcorn is nice and fluffy. I'd call this buttered popcorn with a hint of jalap' and white cheddar. There's the odd flavour burst piece as previously alluded to. Quite an enjoyable bag of popcorn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Tomorrow but the Next Day

 When I cracked my bag of Off the Eaten Path Hummus Crisps (Rosemary & Olive Oil flavour) I didn't have high expectations. They were quite past their best before date and typically anything that's not potato based goes stale rather quickly. When I popped one into my mouth I was met with a fluffy crunch, similar to popcorn crisps (mid to mid light on the crunch scale [that only really exists in my own head]). The seasoning was sour cream and onion textured, kinda creamy, but undeniably rosemary..not overwhelmingly so though. I didn't get much of a chickpea flavour out of these hummus crisps. With each chip I kept getting drawn back to the seasoning, it was just oddly creamy. Because I tend to group things my laziest way of describing these would be that they are cousins to sour cream & onion. Did I mention that they didn't taste stale, not at all. Pretty good snack. Fat and sodium are 14% and 13% respectively, per 50g serving. All in all, I didn't have the hi

House is Sinking

Lets start this off with, I have some great friends. Recently Joj' ( 5'1 Perspective [DIY maker. Started with wood based decorations then moved onto some other materials and projects. If you like crafty stuff I would strongly recommend giving her site a browse.]) and her husband went on a trip to Iceland. About a week after they got back into Canada I found a bag of Nordical (a taste of Iceland) Fish & Chips Salt & Vinegar (potato chips and dried fish) in my mailbox (Joj' and her husband have always been super supportive of the blog and wicked thoughtful with chip recommendations). What a pleasant surprise. The packaging for these is awesome, it's faux newspaper artwork. 40g bag of chips with 10 grams of protein. Sodium is off the charts with 30% of your daily in 40g (37.5% converted to 50g), fat ain't too bad 11% per 40g (13.8% per 50g). They smell a little fishy, but not aggressively. At first glance I didn't think there was fish in there, but upon cl

Return of Django

About a month ago a buddy gave me a bag of Great Value Caribbean BBQ flavoured potato chips. "Inspired by Island Life". I've been pretty excited to try these and I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to do so. When I cracked the bag I was met with a very strong chili powder smell. The chips have medium ridges (Wavy Lays style) and a slight green hue with flecks of red and black. As soon as it hit my mouth I was stoked, these chips did not disappoint and gave me exactly what I wanted, jerk chicken baby! The heat is a very nice hot pepper based in the medium spice range (maybe like a 6 or so, it gets the forehead sweats going pretty quickly for me). There is soo much flavour to this heat though. There's a hint of sweetness, some citrus. Weeyow, these are a nice treat. The crunch is typical midweight.    I got into ska the way that most 80's babies did. Knee deep into the third wave. I eventually got around to 2 Tone but for years didn't go back any furth